What the Futch

KAHunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
For when we are hiking into the marsh I always bring 2 pairs of shirts. One to wear on the walk, that will become sweaty, and one to wear hunting that is dry. Most days in NC I only wear a long sleeve shirt when we have a long walk in the marsh and carry my jackets and gear for when we get where we want to go.

Downeastwoodduck

Refuge Member
Reaction score
If I were to hunt Futch it'd be the very first hunt of the season. Or, if I had a swan tag again and wanted to try. I hunted in 2019 and we shot a few ringnecks and a bufflehead. Had a group of pintails working us and some A-wad shot just to flare them. Wasn't a bird near the guy. Gotta love public. PS - pack as light as you can, the walk in brutal. I've seen grown men almost have a heart attack out there. Plenty of gatorade and thermacell as mentioned. Wishing you a great and safe hunt. It is a pretty place.
We have a beach wagon so that’ll cut a lot, but is 12 dekes overkill you think?

Downeastwoodduck

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Like Clark said there is a map showing all the dikes and access points into the impoundments. Keep in mind there are ditches in the impoundments too and the blinds I have hunted were floating over those ditches. There will be a bridge on one side of the blind to cross the ditch you just have to look for the poles marking each end of it. Learned that the hard way once!
I did this Saturday morning lol

Tomstoswans486

Refuge Member
Reaction score
We have a beach wagon so that’ll cut a lot, but is 12 dekes overkill you think?
No. 12 is fine. When I've hunted it I brought 2 dozen...that was overkill. I'd bring bufflehead or ringnecks - lots of black and white. The best hunt I ever heard at Futch was a buddy of mine, hunted on a sunny 65 degree day in January. He brought 3 swan floaters and shot a limit...plus his swan. Said they wouldn't stay away.

Larry Welch

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Seems Futch is always hit or miss and the hunters there are too. But it isn't just there it seems to be a trend. When things are good, they are but there are some awful people out there.

creedsduckman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Just got an email from the game department about the impoundment conditions. Apparently the blind I have Tuesday is almost dry and unhuntable. Good thing I'd hate to have to hunt in a hard north wind on the full moon in Nov.

Clark

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Just got an email from the game department about the impoundment conditions. Apparently the blind I have Tuesday is almost dry and unhuntable. Good thing I'd hate to have to hunt in a hard north wind on the full moon in Nov.
Got the same email, only good permit I got this year :rolleyes: . At least they saved me 10 hours in the car to hunt a dry pond. Permit system sucks.

Latest posts