What to expect for huntinh & Fishing in SE Idaho?

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by jrothWA, Jul 18, 2020.

1. jrothWA

jrothWA Senior Refuge Member

Maybe under further consideration for emplyment in SE Idaho, what to expect for using the outdoors in the state?

Thanks.

2. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Where you coming from? and where may you be headed?
    Im in Pocatello. Close to Sturgeon, SM bass and big trout on the Snake and American Falls. Great( too good really) bow-fishing for huge carp.There is better fly fishing too but I know little to nothing about that.
    Some good upland hunting and some great upland. When I lived in Utah I had an Idaho NR license. Killed lots of grouse.
    If you hunt where the sharpies and rooster are they can be easy,
    ots of turkeys in very SE
    excellent crane hunting.
    Parts of SE Idaho have gotten better goose hunting, with a depredation hunt, right near Poky it has gotten worse. But the goose hunters have exploded in numbers near the Utah border and Iterstate system and Snake corridors.
    Some places good to fantastic duck hunting , sometimes depends on the freeze and migration.
    I go elsewhere for big game, however most believe SE Idaho is well beyond prime big game, My wife had killed 6, 30-36" mulies growing up Personally I think there is too many over the counter tags good to great bear hunting under 3 hours,.. And we still have Montana Utah Nevada and Wyoming close for what ever strikes your fancy Wolf units fill quotas quickly, plenty of coyotes. Most areas too many lions even more so around pocatello

Ive lived and hunted quite a few places. Every area had advantages , I dont want to "sell you this is a great place , but better than many, but long from as great as others.
    If our daughters didnt all stick around here There are better places

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    Missy Skeeter likes this.
  3. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Since Ive moved around a bit, Ive always found good places to hunt. Dont balance hunting against family and work. Hunting is always there, familiy isnt

4. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member

I'll fill in the fly fishing part for you. I've only hunted on the east side once for deer and elk and it was almost 30 years ago, so I don't have any input in that regard. We spend a lot of our summer in our camper at Ashton. There are endless opportunities to fly fish from April through October on a lot of rivers. We start on the henry's fork in April through June, then switch to the snake and teton till September then go just about anywhere till the end of October. Big browns and rainbows are common if you have the ability and the gear. A drift boat is nice, but there are lots of access points to wade fish. It's good to have a son who is a guide for fly fishing, he points me in the right direction and I cast. I hope to move there in the next few years, but that will depend on my son. I won't move unless he does, but the crazier Boise gets, the more I think he will want to get his family over to the east side. My wife and I already moved out of Boise two years ago but stayed close enough to our son and his family that we can see them regularly.

Missy Skeeter likes this.
  5. Missy Skeeter

Missy Skeeter Senior Refuge Member

I also used to live in Utah (Logan), and always purchased a non-resident Idaho license for bird hunting.
    Blue grouse up high in September, then huns and pheasants when the weather cooled.
    Always the opener on ducks at the National Wildlife Refuge, and ducks until the season ended with some
    nice mallard shoots anywhere there was open water (creeks below reservoir dams, a warm springs area, etc.)

wood walker likes this.