Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

What to take when after snows?

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Out of focus, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Out of focus

Out of focus Senior Refuge Member

I'm thinking about making a conservation hunt in 2020 with a couple of co-workers. We are planning on using our duck guns(sans the plugs). I'm just asking advice on ammo and chokes for decoying and passing shots on snows because we have never hunted them. Thanks.

2. hunting1

hunting1 Senior Refuge Member

You should get a wide range of advice on this one. Snows aren't highly difficult to bring down. Many use 3" shells with shot sizes at 2 or slightly larger. I've even seen some very successful shoots from guys using 2 3/4 shells. If the birds are thick the reduced recoil makes target aquisition easier and quicker. Regular steel works just fine, I prefer Black Cloud. Mod choke is adequate in most circumstances. If I were you and buying shells different than what you usually shoot I would compare patterns so you dont have any surprises. Also, if you've never shot geese and you find you are missing try leading them a little more. If you are instinctively shooting them like ducks, the larger body and slower wingbeat might make them seem closer than they really are.

3. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

3 inch 1 1/4 oz # 1, 2, or 3s out of an improved or modified cylinder for decoying birds.

4. JRS

JRS Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like you will be using an outfitter.

I’d put all my effort into researching and locating an outfitter that will actually get you on birds and not just take your money. There are no shortage of horror story threads in the archives.

A decent outfitter will know what shot/choke will be best for the shot opportunities he can provide.

marshmob and hunting1 like this.
  5. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

Typically Kent 3” #1’s for birds hanging at 40yds and 3” #3’s for back peddling birds. We run improved or mod chokes on decoying and i do switch over to a high flyer choke for 40yds. I have never bought the high dollar ammo for snows but probably not a bad idea considering how much I spend on everything else.

hunting1 likes this.
  6. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

Just like most others a good quality 3” BB, 1 or 2 will do the trick. I like 2’s for decoying birds (40 yards and in) and BB’s (40+) for “sorta decoying birds”. Wouldn’t hurt to have some of both but my preference is 2’s day in and day out. Generally shoot modified but have had good success with Improved as well!

Good luck and be sure like others have said and do your homework on your outfitter!