California Flyway Forum Sponsors

What tricks for the rain?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Squaller, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Not a fan of hunting in the rain, but if I have the day off, and it is raining, I will likely be hunting...

Talking to other members of my club, I was surprised at how few take any "extra" steps while in the rain outside of wearing a rain jacket.

• I use a garbage bag to put my blind bag in, and that plastic bag stays on my gear bag for the walk in/out, and in the blind itself to keep things dry. Currently, I pull my bag out in a tub (Jr. JetSled), and it stays wrapped in the garbage bag the whole time.
    • Shells all get put in zip-lock bags.
    • Gun gets carried out to the blind in a thin "mud-case" to avoid getting saturated with water.
    • Extra (water-proof) hat goes in the blind bag, so when the wind blows off my hat, I have a spare.
    • Extra lens wipes for my glasses
    • My father cuts a garbage bag in half, and keeps it over his gun like a gun-pancho in the blind... Pulls it when he shoots... I find it too much of a pain, and it often ends up in the pond anyways.
    • Extra dry clothes in the truck to change into
    What are some of your tricks to reduce gear damage, clean-up time, or to remain more comfortable???

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    Brottboss and freefall like this.
  2. mak2782

mak2782 Elite Refuge Member

no matter what, if gun gets soaked, take it out of case on truck ride home and it goes near a heater or fireplace upside down with action open to dry out. Then a quick 5 min clean with clp to get any spots water accumulated and dried.

3. Specialbelly

Specialbelly Senior Refuge Member

Thought it was ridiculous but tried the black nitrile gloves today. Kept my hands warmer and dry-ish (still kinda sweaty) but comfort level was much better than normal. Doesnt seem to affect duck calls but speck calling was off the table with them on.

circlehooker and freefall like this.
  4. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

Stay home. Hunting in rain is dumb.

5. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

And you could save a life in the process.

6. Wood-Dro

Wood-Dro Elite Refuge Member

Hunting in the rain is wet, but it's far from dumb. Things are going to get wet, just going to have to dry them out. If the birds are flying I could not care less.

freefall likes this.
  7. Brottboss

Brottboss Elite Refuge Member

finally did the R of my R&D of my Sitka jacket, dry as a bone.
    Didn't rain much, but when it did I was comfy and dry.

8. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I will not argue that... I am too stupid to stay home if I have the option of hunting... Most likely the cognitive disorder DHCD (duck hunting cognitive disorder). They say I am fairly advance. Not looking for a cure at this time.

9. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

Stay home save lives

freefall likes this.
  10. NorCalDuckHntr

NorCalDuckHntr New Member

The right gear is key. I would rather hunt in the worst weather. Your gun and shells can get wet it won't hurt them, wd40 or your preference for your gun. I douche mine down before every hunt. I sometimes hunt saltwater and my gun has minimal rust thru the season. I only transport my gun in case when in my boat during hunting.
    No disrespect but this is duck hunting not golf.

Ravenanme, Gander View and freefall like this.