California Flyway Forum Sponsors

What was your first bird taken on your very first hunt ?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by swingnmiss, Mar 18, 2020.

1. AzSprig

AzSprig Elite Refuge Member

1982..Drake Wood Duck on Fiddyment property. Back in the day you could shoot everything from small game to deer 10 minutes from old Roseville... Nothing but houses now.

Drake Slayer and swingnmiss like this.
  2. pumpgunner

pumpgunner Elite Refuge Member

The first duck I killed was a hen wigeon with my 20 gauge 870, I think it was in December in the afternoon outside of Patterson near the San Joaquin river on a duck club my dad belonged to.

swingnmiss likes this.
  3. Dakillaofnada

Dakillaofnada Elite Refuge Member

hen ruddy.. Colusa refuge thanks giving weekend 1981... walking down the road between 3 and 4.. a flock of about 50 came bombing by.. first shot at a duck... single shot stevens 20 ga... I remember wanting to get it mounted bad.. left in the garage over night and our orange cat ate the damn head off it.. I was devastated.....

4. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Bull spoonie, taken with a Remington 12 ga pump shotgun from a rice tank close to Delevan Refuge, 1995.

swingnmiss likes this.
  5. Mort

Mort Elite Refuge Member

My first bird hunt was for Pheasant in Willows in the mid 60's. I think I was about 13 years old. I drove up with my dad and his friends, ate breakfast at the Catholic Church and went out hunting. They only shot one bird and we were back at the trucks plucking it and eating lunch when I heard a bunch of shooting in a nearby field. I saw a **** pheasant flying across several fields and land on a check about 50 yards from us. It had not been hit. I took my Winchester, model 37 (single shot, 12 ga) and a German Shorthair dog with me to where I saw it land. I sent the dog into the bushes after it and it didn't flush and the dog didn't come out with it. I laid down the gun, got on my hands and knees and crawled into the brush. I could see the pheasant standing in the brush looking at me, so I backed out and sent the dog in again. Same results. So I laid the gun down again, crawled into the brush and grabbed the pheasant by the neck. The pheasant clawed the #^%$ out of my arm. I stood there for a moment thinking what was the right thing to do. I could let it loose in the air and hope I got a clean shot at it with my single shot. I looked at my bloody arm and thought...nope. I broke its neck and took it back to the truck, plucked it, and finished my lunch. Probably not the sporting thing to do, but I was 13 years old and it tasted pretty good anyway.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    letmwurk, Baldplate, 7pntail and 10 others like this.
  6. swingnmiss

swingnmiss Senior Refuge Member

What great story and a mean pheasant...!

7. Socal Waterfowler

Socal Waterfowler Elite Refuge Member

Hen Mallard (Wister) 312C-2. Single shot 20gauge

swingnmiss likes this.
  8. thekillerofmallard

thekillerofmallard Elite Refuge Member

No clue my first ducking hunting was jumping shooting the Napa river North of Napa. It was either a mallard or a wood duck.

9. craig wilson

craig wilson Elite Refuge Member

1965, bull sprig with a slingshot and marble

JRS, Brottboss, API and 2 others like this.
  10. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

Green wing teal, hen. I was a little guy early sixties, 61 or 62 I guess, long ago. I was hunting with my dad and grandpa a flock of teal buzzed in dad and grandpa went to the plug not a feather touched I popped off with the single shot 410 most likely 6s lead and got her!! I got a lot of mileage out of that bird. Lol

Grandpa had a ranch outside of Sheridan on yankee slough. Oh my ... heaven it was!! We hunted it for many years as I grew up so many mallards and honkers that came from camp far west to feed on his winter wheat it was crazy !!! Pheasant and doves. Crazy !! Oh what memories!!

AD76519F-3EC6-436D-8FC8-B55AE7CCC0D7.jpeg 40D4027E-DC9D-4C62-B511-02E2CABD3A8E.jpeg