What was your first gun and how did u get it

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MarshmanDon, Feb 2, 2020.

1. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

It was a Mossberg .22 cal., semi. I don't know where it really came from, Dad just gave it to me one day...I was about 4, but not shooting it for several years. As he'd just been sheriff, in my mind I decided he'd taken it from some bad guy. In reality, one of his friends probably gave it to him for me...it was made the year I was born.
    It had a safety and funky peep site, both of which were not suited for a novice shooter, but I made due. We hunted squirrels and went to the dump and shot rats...a favorite past-time in those days.
    My first shotgun was a H&R .410, single shot, full choke...with a recoil pad! I think I was about 8 when I got that. I shot a ton of squirrels, rabbits, quail, pheasants and ducks with that gun...at least in my mind. Maybe I shot a ton of shot TRYING.
    Rick Hall's post about the single shot 16 ga., brought back memories. When Dad's friends first started taking me duck hunting, I knew the .410 left me woefully under gunned. For a time, one of Dad's friends loaned me a Model 12, mag., which was so long for me that it was a single shot as I had to bring it down from my shoulder to pump it.
    I also borrowed my cousins Winchester 16 ga. single shot, cracked at the pistol grip, glued and wrapped with about 300 yards of electrical tape. Like Rick said, you had to be serious about killing when you busted a cap. Routinely, my right shoulder blade would end up bruising my left ear.
    After all that, I did kill my first duck, a drake mallard, with my .410... but I WAS using the big magnum(?) 3" shells, not those wimpy 2 1/2."

MarshmanDon likes this.
  2. Matt Barnard

Matt Barnard Elite Refuge Member

My first was an Ithaca 37. Bought it with my graduation from high school money. Paid $125.00 dollars for it in 1973. And I did shoot a ton of stuff with mine. Ducks, geese, pheasants,quail, a couple of deer. A bazillion pigeons and starlings. I got a MEC reloader in '74 for my birthday. For a couple of summers, I shot trap 2-3 nights a week as well. Still got it. Shot a lot of XX's through it. Some steel as well.

MarshmanDon and riverrat47 like this.
  3. pluffmud

pluffmud Senior Refuge Member

Single shot New England .410 I bought new with money I saved working most of the year when I was 11 in 2001. Still have that little gun.

MarshmanDon likes this.
  4. coachcornbread

coachcornbread Elite Refuge Member

The first gun that I got that was totally mine was a 12 gauge 870 wingmaster. I got it from my grandfather for Christmas on my 10th birthday. 33 years later I still have the same gun. My kids killed their first ducks with it, and I still use it from time to time.

stevena198301 and MarshmanDon like this.
  5. MarshmanDon

MarshmanDon Senior Refuge Member

In my opinion the 870 is the toughest gun.
    Ever made in my lifetime some times l
    Get tempted to get another one 20 gauge
    Wingmaster. !

6. Bill Kraft

Bill Kraft New Member

Remington 514, single shot .22. My Dad gave me choice for H.S. Graduation. a typewriter or something usefull like a 12 ga Stevens 311, killed a lot of stuff with both. Retired the Stevens when steel shot came in. Really thinking about having the chokes opened to IC and Lt Mod. Hunting just aint the same without a "two row."

MarshmanDon likes this.
  7. no harm-no fowl

no harm-no fowl Senior Refuge Member

Mine was a Thompson Center Hawkins .50 caliber muzzle-loading rifle. It was 1976 and I was 14 years old. I worked all summer to earn the money. My parents had me in a summer reading program because I wasn't doing well in school. As a reward for completing the program, they took me to the local hardware store and let me pick out the gun. I still have it, and have kill many a deer with it.

MarshmanDon likes this.
  8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

First Gun? Browning T-Bolt. Wicked accurate. Qualified for my NRA shooting medal at age 5 with it. Still have it.

First shotgun? For one year, H&R .410 Single shot, with a hammer. Age 5. When the birds were close, he would hand me a shell. (I was already tested on gun safety the year before, carrying a pellet gun on hunts with my Dad)

First 'real' shotgun (for more than one year) was a Cool lil Beretta Break Action Single Shot, Trap model, and I guess a Youth Model, as it was very small. I donated that a few years back to the Trap Club for our Youth League.

First deer rifle was a Savage Mod.99, in 250-3000. Wish I still had that one.

kdog, Bigshot75 and MarshmanDon like this.
  9. sleeping_dogs

sleeping_dogs Elite Refuge Member

40E59CB8-2B98-4428-8A03-02756BC7CF8A.jpeg Remington model 48 “The Sportsman” 20ga. It was gift to my father for me from one of his patients. I think he gave it to me when I was about 12. I hunted both doves and duck with it until I was in my mid twenties.

10. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Came up shooting my fathers guns, H&R 410 single shot, ( brother has that one), Monkey Wards single shot 22, (I,ve got that) and a win Model 24 double 12. First that was actually mine was given to me at about 12 as Christmas present. An Ithica lever action 22 single shot from Jeff Traders gun shop in Pocomoke, Md. Sadly I sold it when I was in my 20,s. .

MarshmanDon likes this.