What was your first gun and how did u get it

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MarshmanDon, Feb 2, 2020.

1. newduk

newduk Elite Refuge Member

"Borrowed" my older brother's Belgium Browning A5 20 ga for many years. First one that was mine, was a 12 ga Belgium Browning A5. My brother and my dad went together and bought it for me for Christmas when I was about 17. Still have it, wouldn't part with it for anything.

2. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

Remington 1100 that belonged to my granddaddy but he sold it. Dad went out and bought it right back and I started using it when I was 12...he gave it to me when I was 14 and I was told I could keep it in my room but if I did anything stupid with it I would lose it and the right to ever own a gun in his house again...I still have the gun...

[​IMG]

3. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

When my father passed away, the only gun I couldn't account for was his t-bolt. No idea what happened to it.

My first was a 20 gauge single shot Ithaca lever action. Got it for Christmas at five and started shooting it at seven. At eight got a 20 gauge SKB sxs, and at 14 got my dream gun an A5 Mag 12.

MarshmanDon likes this.
  4. WaterFoulHunter

WaterFoulHunter Senior Refuge Member

When I was growing up I knew that Dad's old Win Model 37 .410 and the Stevens 20 Ga single shot were mine to shoot when I was old enough. I Never really hunted with the .410- other than a ground squirrel or two- but when I got my license at age 9 (In 1968) I started hunting with the Stevens. I shot a lot of dove, pheasants and ducks with it for three years until I saved up enough yard-mowing money to buy a little Spanish side-by-side which was my only shotgun until I grew up. (Well, until I got older. Some would argue that I never really "grew up"!)

MarshmanDon likes this.
  5. JTerrell

JTerrell Senior Refuge Member

For my 12th birthday Grampa gave me the choice of: Remington 1148 semi auto in 28 gauge with 26" Imp/Cyl and 28" Full choke plain barrels
    Browning SA-22 grade I semi-auto .22--the tube-feeder that loads through the stock.
    I chose the Remington 28 gauge--killed my first duck at age 12-- drake Greenwing Teal shooting lead #6 in 1966. It also proved to be a wicked little grouse gun and I try and take it or another of my 28's Woodcock hunting.

Fowler267 likes this.
  6. 3labman

3labman Senior Refuge Member

Remington 1100 single shot sold it in a dove field for $100 bucks, went out and bought a Browning Magnum A5.

Bigshot75 likes this.
  7. duck dawg

duck dawg Senior Refuge Member

My first gun was Ithaca 20 ga. single shot w/ lever action breakdown. Got it when I graduated from 1st grade, my dad had to cut several inches off the stock. I use to give the tree rats hell with it.

8. Sault Ste. Marie

Sault Ste. Marie Elite Refuge Member

An uncle gave me a 20ga/.22 Savage Model 24-DL as a gift for passing my firearms safety course back when I was about 14 (around '66). I wanted a lever action .22 but, wise and foresightful man that he was, he knew better! Killed many ducks with that gun before I bought a Winchester 1200 which I later sold to buy a Wingmaster 30" plain barrel full choke. Would still have both the Savage and the Remington had a burglar not stolen them with a dozen other guns back in '78.

9. jjgoose

jjgoose Senior Refuge Member

Single shot Stevens 410 my dad gave me probably when I was about 10. Shot my first squirrel with it. I've still got that gun.

10. Mack270

Mack270 Refuge Member

My first one was an 20 gauge 870 LW magnum youth model that looks the same as the newer Wingmaster versions of it. I got it for Christmas when I was 7 years old. I can still remember the first dove hunt with my Dad a few weeks later. It took my first of everything aside from big ducks and geese. Doves, snipe, quail, crows, deer, squirrels, rabbits and a few wood ducks. We lost my Dad this past year the day after Christmas but the memories I made with him and that gun will stick with me forever. He kept hunting journals my entire life and I'm looking forward to one day sitting down and seeing what he wrote about those early days hunting with me.

Its in my safe equipped with a longer barrel and stock but with the old barrel and stock in storage waiting for hopefully a child of my own.