What was your first gun and how did u get it

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MarshmanDon, Feb 2, 2020.

1. buckmaster1

buckmaster1 Elite Refuge Member

Apollo Beach, Fl, Formerly from Gloucester, VA
    Mine was a 20 gauge Mossberg Bolt action with Select-A-Choke. My father wanted to get me a single shot, but the sales guy talked him into the bolt action. He took the magazine away and kept it with his guns so I had to use it as a single shot, said it would teach me to wait and make the best shot. That worked pretty well until he was cutting firewood and a nice buck came running by when I was with him. I had #3 buck and took carful aim and knocked him down. He got up up and was limping away and Dad was hollering "Shoot him again", my response was that I couldn't because I didn't hav another shell. After that, I was allowed to use the magazine. We tracked the deer for a while before it encountered another hunter on the next property who finished him off. The next week I was in the same spot and dropped a nice six pointer with one shot. That was 55 years ago, but it taught me well.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    MarshmanDon likes this.
  2. Bigshootss

Bigshootss Senior Refuge Member

Mossberg 500 12 gauge Mod fixed choke 13 years old bought it for $149.99 on sale. Shot it till it pretty much wore out. Trap, pheasants, ducks, deer, crows, pigeons, anything and everything. Don’t miss the trombone. It served its purpose, was cheap and tough.

Waxed Canvas and MarshmanDon like this.
  3. Boot

Boot Senior Refuge Member

Single shot .410. FIE is the brand. I was long about 6 or 7 when Daddy brought it home. It looked like it had laid in the bottom of the ocean for a year or two. It was awful. Daddy told me he was fixing and refinishing it for some side money to pay bills. I watched him, every evening after he'd get home from work, sanding, polishing, working, cleaning, and bringing new life to that raggedy gun. I sat beside him, always dropping comments like "daddy, that gun sure is about the size I need" or "daddy, what are you going to do with it if the guy don't pay you?" He'd just laugh and say "maybe one day we can afford you one". I watched him cut the stock down, strip the caked on crud, sand it back smooth, cut new checkering lines in the grip and forearm. I watched him hand rub a new coating and finish on the wood. I watched him strip and polish the barrel and action, then keep hand applying cold blue until the steel was the finest shade of beautiful. For a little over 2 months, I watched him work on it in the evenings. In September, when my birthday came around, he presented me with that gun. Come to find out, years later, he had traded some electrical work for the shotgun. (Daddy was wiring houses back then)
    I estimate it's value at 2.5 trillion.
    It belongs to my grandson now, and I'd give about anything if Daddy could see him smile when he powders a clay or mangled a coke can with it.

Stormer, Josh T, Allan and 9 others like this.
  4. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

There were 3 guns, one was a J.C. Whitney 22 bolt action, which my grandfather bought mail order for $5, circa 1915, when he was about 10 y/o. The other was a Model 12 12 ga. made in about 1909, that was given to me by a friend of my grandfathers, who got it from a San Francisco Bay (Larkspur) market hunter. The last was a Winchester lever action 25-35 deer rifle, circa 1896. It had belonged to my grandfather's great uncle. The .22 finally literally wore out, the model 12 and the 25-35 I still shoot.

Waxed Canvas and MarshmanDon like this.
  5. Out of focus

Out of focus Senior Refuge Member

I shot a bunch of my old man’s guns until I was about 13. Then my parents bought me A mossy 500 12 gauge with a 28” fixed modified barrel. Over the years I picked up another barrel with screw in tubes. Shot a boat load of animals with that gun. In 2018 I gave it to my godchild and he’s got a few ducks with it so far. Good times!

Waxed Canvas likes this.
  6. missed mallards

missed mallards Senior Refuge Member

410 single shot. Brazil de something or another. Don’t know much about but it served.serves me well.

dad probably traded for it at the local pawnshop. Don’t know how he got it but it was my first

7. MarshmanDon

MarshmanDon Senior Refuge Member

You guys are doing agreat job brought.
    Tears to my eyes makes me want to
    To go pick up the 16 HR and give. It
    Some love!

Thanks MarshmanDon

8. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

He does, Boot. Who the hell do you think is helping your grandson point it?

9. Boot

Boot Senior Refuge Member

I wish I could give this a dozen "likes".
    That comment made my day.

Ratdaddy, MarshmanDon and riverrat47 like this.
  10. newduk

newduk Elite Refuge Member

Same way I feel about the A5 my brother and dad gave me. Never thought about it before, but it feels good being a multi trillionaire.