What was your first gun and how did u get it

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MarshmanDon, Feb 2, 2020.

1. MarshmanDon

MarshmanDon Senior Refuge Member

I have quite a few things that l would consider priceless 22 rem. And the
    Redhead that Pop shot through the
    eye so we could mount it .bought
    It when he got back from the war.
    His A-5 32 inch full choke.close to a 100
    Calls , 16 Harrington Richardson
    Model 1897Winchester l would give it all
    Away for another year with my Dad .

2. mo. black brant

mo. black brant New Member

A H&R single shot .410 for my 5th birthday in 1955, money made from selling a bunch of speckled trout we caught that summer. Did manage some ducks and blue phase snow geese in south Louisiana, still have it. Like others have said certainly brings back memories when I take it out of the safe.

3. Westmichwtrdog

Westmichwtrdog Senior Refuge Member

At age 8 I got a Stevens 20 gauge 22 mag over under. Dad took me to deer camp in the UP for an entire week. When they sighted in their rifles I got to shoot the 22. I had to do my homework every night but it was fun and cold. My first duck gun was an 1100 an old guy had cut the stock short on. It had a 30 inch full choke barrel on it. I was terrible at skeet but held my own at trap. When hunting time came I waited for the coming at me or going away shots. Couldnt hit nothing that was crossing. Steve

4. redheads

redheads New Member

I was gifted this gun by my dads friend when i was 8....After almost 45 years i still have it today

5. Steelshot Scott

Steelshot Scott Elite Refuge Member

I think you mean JC Higgins. My first gun was a 410 bolt action JC Higgins. Worked OK for squirrel, but it stomped on my self-esteem for duck hunting. I never took a single duck with that gun. At age 11, I got a Winchester 1200 for Christmas and got a wood duck drake that very morning.

6. cholt

cholt Elite Refuge Member

Growing up I always borrowed guns from my grandfather to hunt with, I never needed one of my own. A now fast forward to my senior year in high school my dad asked me about getting me a class ring for graduation so I explained that I would rather have a gun of my own for deer hunting. The next day I get home from school and there’s a brand new rem. 700/ 270. With a brand new scope and two boxes of shells. I now have all the guns I used to borrow from my grandfather, got a call one day to come to his house and when I walked in there were all the guns I used as a boy plus a lot I had never seen. He explained that he wanted me to go ahead and take them all that they had always been mine and that he didn’t want any other in the family fighting over them. I ended up having to purchase another gun safe lol.

7. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

Yep, you're right. That gun eventually wore out, literally shot the chamber out of it. That gun always had a little powder blow-back, but one day my dad was shooting it and a sliver of brass sheared off the cartridge and came back out through the bolt and stuck in my dads eye. Almost lost his eye. That gun got chucked in SF bay!

8. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

My dad bought me a single-shot 20 gauge when I was 12. No idea what he paid for it. It was my Christmas present that year, as well as getting to go deer hunting with him the following weekend.

Vammy and MarshmanDon like this.
  9. oldfireguy

oldfireguy Senior Refuge Member

After my father returned from WW II, he never again fired a gun. Hunting was never his passion, but he recognized it was mine. He bought me my first .22, my first shotgun, and my first handgun. Said he felt "good enough" to walk with me on opening day of pheasant season (I was 12)......although he had fallen and cracked ribs 2 weeks earlier. Half a century ago.

MarshmanDon likes this.
  10. marsh man dan

marsh man dan Elite Refuge Member

Benelli nova 12 gauge. Was given choice of go on 8th grade trip to DC or the gun. That was a easy no brainer