Decoy Forum Sponsors

What weights do you use

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by cholt, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member

Nice----yur lucky !
    For my shallow water 6 foot cords in the rice & vegetation I use 4 oz TANGLEFREE torpedos
    On my deep water (No vegetation) 12---15 foot decoys, I use the (6 oz?) flat strap anchors.
    Tailor what you use, to your exact needs.

Ringbill

2. cholt

cholt Elite Refuge Member

That’s the best thing about these you can use these for any application had them in saltwater last year too and no problem and not rusting not exactly sure what kind of coating they have but they have something anyways just seeing what others have come up with I know if you buy the decoy weights they really like their products cause the price shows eBay for crimps and weed eater cord with enough to last for years lol

3. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Thanks, cholt. That's what I had envisioned. They look like they are heavily hot-galvanized, which is why they resist rusting so well.
    Since they seem to have an infinite lifespan, why does your work just throw them away??

4. cholt

We do not use them we they come off fiber glass guy breakers that we attack guys to power poles there is actually pin that goes thru them when I get back after the holiday I will take a pic of the rods

5. cholt

The round piece I use is removed from where the pin is we remove them to use the anchor that’s attached to pole here you can see the rod and the pole anchor the round piece here is actually attached to the anchor the fiber rod has the pin thru it where the little donut was and has to be removed to attach to anchor 9585C58C-BCA7-43F5-9019-5DDE6F47D8EF.png

6. Old Carver

Old Carver Senior Refuge Member

When the refinery I work with alot changes out flanges and fittings they do not re use alot of the bolts/nuts due to torque stretch & stress. I ended up with a 5 gallon bucket of. 3/4 and 1" nuts probably 8-12 oz each. I hand tie (oh the blasphemy of not crimping fancy TX rigs) the nuts onto nice heavy decoy line and call it good. A couple for goose floaters. Using long lines so your decoy to bottom angle is greater than 45 degrees. Same principles as boat anchoring.

7. JEREMY R

JEREMY R Refuge Member

I use the 1lb weights from knutsons on my Canada floaters they dont go anywhere. Also use 8oz on ducks just depends where your hunting for me I need heavier weights

8. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

We hand pour all our weights. Kind of a pyramid with a hole through the center for the line. I'd say they are ~1lb-1 1/2lbs.

9. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

12 ounce mushrooms on my body wrapped Herter 72s with 25' of line. They hold well in tidal currents unless there is a lot of leaves in the water.

10. captaininsano050

captaininsano050 Senior Refuge Member

Where you guys getting molds or weights from? I need some 12 oz H weights or something similar.