What would be the best perennial plants for duck holes?

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Hunter Eldridge, Nov 21, 2021.

1. Hunter Eldridge

Hunter Eldridge New Member

I plan on planting Japanese millet in my water level controlled hardwood bottom for extra food in the winter. I also want to have perennial plants that will continue to produce year round food in my duck hole. Thoughts on broadleaf arrowhead and duckweed? Pond depth throughout the bottom is around 12 inches deep.

2. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

Barnyard grass is not perennial but I think it and smartweed would be good re seeders. The various oaks etc the faster growing the better.

3. Porter Bayou

Porter Bayou Elite Refuge Member

Not a lot of perennial wetland species high on the desirable list of waterfowl foods. Also, perennial wetland habitat conditions are counter productive to a healthy bottom land hardwood regime. I'd stick with trying to maximize annual wetland species.

Clayton likes this.
  4. DisplacedDuck

DisplacedDuck Senior Refuge Member

Porter Bayou said it best above... true perennials are not ideal for waterfowl food. Some offer desirable seeds, but they don't produce a fraction of the seed count compared to their annual cousins.

Penns. Smartweed and Barnyard Grass are technically annuals but are healthy re-seeders. I would recommend those, not knowing many of the other details.

5. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

If it is already wet and you have ability in your "water level controlled hardwood bottom," let it dry out and run a disk lightly through it. If you have sunlight getting to ground you'll have duck food sprout.

Fowler267 likes this.