Whats cold to you.

nobands

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
The glove thread got me thinking about cold temperatures.
Whats everyone's opinion of what's cold?
I can handle a dry January day here at 15 degrees much better than a wet November day at 30 with wind . But neither are enjoyable to me anymore.
Think that's just on my old bones.
Anymore I look for excuses to stay home at 10 or below with a wind.
I just tuff it out in November, cause that is duck time . After that's is goose and by then I've killed enough.

California Flyway

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I got pretty cold tolerant as kid in northeast Ohio running traplines. I used to chop holes in the ice and roll up my sleeves to recover Muskrat, Beaver and Mink from underwater sets.

missed mallards

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Where are we talking about?

42 in Mississippi is cold. I’m layering.

It feels about that same as 10 degrees in Valparaiso Indiana and 19 degrees in Dallas South Dakota?

17 degrees in ms is absolutely brutal on the water.

Native NV Ducker

Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others
Reaction score
I've hunted several times in temps of -20 ( moving water, or a warm water seep into a pond)

Pretty nippy.

ripline

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
About 15 below zero.
Had my best mallard shoot at -10 one November day... Had to bring alot of extra gear for my old boy Speck on that hunt...
Have sat out all day at -15 deer hunting a few times... Dry cold!

Woodduck31

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
a lot of folks have never really experienced super cold. When we lived in Fairbanks, -40 and colder was common. Winter is long, cold, and dark. I ran traplines at as low as -25, we were walking a line about 2 miles, but was never cold since we were always moving. I got cold all the time growing up in Kansas, but determined after Alaska there was never a reason to be cold in the lower 48. I had bunny boot and never had cold feet even at -54. My wife was working at an office downtown fairbanks when it was in that -50 range and the cold swelled the plug up on my block and battery heater, so I walked her to work a mile. We both had bunny boots, down parkas, layers of additional clothes underneath. I had a pair of insulated carhart pants that I absolutely loved. Wool Mittens over liners for my hands and I never got cold. Of course that's all keeping moving, walking which makes a huge difference. The only issues I have with cold is concern for the retrievers. I have hunted a lot down to zero and I just don't get cold. I turn 65 on wednesday and figure the time is coming when I start feeling it a lot more. There is good cold gear out there and just no reason to be cold.

A good side story of cold on the trapline was when we came upon the biggest ruffed grouse I've ever seen, I really wanted to get it mounted. We just had a bolt action 22 rifle with us, so i borrowed it from my buddy and pulled the trigger and nothing, it was -25. It was froze up, we tried and tried and the grouse just sat there. Finally my buddy pulled the bolt and put it in his armpit under his parka, outside of his inner layers and we stood there awhile and tried again, but no go. He put it back inside his coat and we were able to get it done that time. Super cold is more of an equipment issue for me, rounding out the tires by driving slow around the block, making sure to start the car every couple of hours when you don't have a hook up.

I did fall in over my head at 15 degrees trying to retrieve a duck, kind of swum out of it with my 870 paddle. I think I stepped into a beaver run. The water is fed with a few warm springs, so it wasn't froze over everywhere, but the air temp froze my clothes within minutes and of course my shotgun was froze up. Ducks were everywhere and my son was still wanting to hunt, but it got to the point that I was getting dangerously cold and we packed it up and went home. That's about the only time I remember being cold.