What's up with this Public Land?

Discussion in 'Arkansas Flyway Forum' started by bill cooksey, Sep 8, 2020.

1. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

2. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

Bill,

I think it depends upon whom you ask.

According to the University, they advertised this parcel for sale since it was really not being used for research, and had almost zero interest in the purchase. One buyer stepped forward and made an offer, which the University accepted and will be using the money towards other research purposes.

According to the Game & Fish, they made offers on this parcel and were turned down, even when they offered MORE than the current accepted purchase price. The part being sold is apparently one of the primary duck hunting spots on the area and has been leased or managed by AGFC for public use for years. It is apparently being sold to a wealthy, fairly well known UA alum.

Seems like a complication to me, but apparently not to UA, but the original deed from the Federal Government says that the property cannot be used for anything other than public purposes, and if it is, then ownership reverts back to the Grantor (USDA? I think?). So the sale would seem to be invalidated on that point alone, but the University is pulling the, "well...the MONEY we get is going to better research uses so TECHNICALLY...."

It has the appearance of a sweetheart, under the table deal, though whether it is or not, I have no idea. Given how quietly things went down, how popular that duck spot is (apparently), and how even AGFC is saying UA turned down more money after "zero interest" in someone buying the property...it kinda smells to me.

3. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Thanks, definitely sounds less than transparent and in need of an unbiased review. I can't find anyone who hunts it. The few I've heard from who know the area at all say the duck hunting sucks unless everything comes together perfectly.

4. rhpierce

I've never set foot on it, honestly, but I am always against the wink/nudge "public" sales and deals like this. I know they happen, but I don't like them.

I'm sure the University has issues with public use of it...probably people trashing it up, using atv's where they shouldn't be, and maybe they just got tired of it and figured a private owner would be a better neighbor than AGFC public use. The deed restriction throws a kink into it, in my opinion, but that depends on the judge and how he feels about it...buuuut, that is a Federal granting of land, which a judge might not want to create a precedent on that level...

And maybe it was above board...maybe AGFC figured they could hold the University off, until someone came in and made a bid, and then they "found" the money to go for it after the fact...which also is poor judgment on the part of AGFC, but if the area isn't really priority duck/deer/whatever, and sucks 7 years out of 10, well...maybe they are better off to try and acquire more in the Cache/White/Grand Prairie region...

It's a mess for sure.

ukcpeak and bill cooksey like this.
  5. LAquacker

LAquacker Refuge Member

It's a slippery slope. Let this one go and the next could be your favorite public hunting land.

rhpierce likes this.
  6. rhpierce

I agree, but I don't have the pocketbook or political pull to keep garbage like this from happening.

7. LAquacker

LAquacker Refuge Member

Public petitions and banding together in the thousands and getting a little bit of media coverage will trump pocketbooks.
    Defeatist thinking will lead to them richies taking everything we have.

Fowler267 likes this.
  8. Waxed Canvas

Waxed Canvas Elite Refuge Member

Hunting is a rich man’s sport. No where else in the world do commoners have as much freedom as we do. You must keep this in perspective. He who has the gold makes the rules.

9. LAquacker

LAquacker Refuge Member

Sounds like some old time Dixie Democrat thinking right there.

10. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like everyday professional men with dispensable cash with duck hunting spots & camps. Duck hunting has always been a "rich man's sport" that's a fact!