Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Whats your camp?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by salthunter, Jun 28, 2020.

1. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

An old guy we hunt with only sleeps in a tent. He took his tent to the lodge in SD and slept outside it. It’s just not for me. Never liked the condensation that always seems to develop on the insides in the mornings. And I absolutely hate having to re-air up an air mattress that loses PSI due to a leak or temp changes. I’ve heard him get up many nights and get in his truck when he got wet, and heard him many nights crank up the air pump when he woke up on hard ground. I like to reach over on those single digit mornings, and click the heat on for about 10 minutes before I roll off my memory foam mattress and get dressed. Army tents always had the smell of diesel fuel, canvas, farts, hot breath and badussy. I’ll hammock sleep before I tent sleep.

LAquacker likes this.
  2. stevena198301

You seen the cot bunk-bed? I see them on Woot for sale sometimes.

Ratdaddy likes this.
  3. Mort

Mort Elite Refuge Member

Well I hate to say it, but I am getting a little pussyfied in my old age. When I was young, a sleeping bag and a tarp would suffice. Then I graduated to a tent, and after many tents to a cabover camper. Then went to a motor home...which was a money pit. I have had a duck cabin or an old farm house during duck season for many years. Finally about 5 years ago, I bought a trailer. I like it because I get to go to sleep and not have to listen to the drunk, rowdy domino players all night. I have actually been camping in it one time during the five years. My kids and their families use it mainly for camping when its not duck season. My other types of hunting have just about been non existent for many years. So on vacations now....my camp looks something like this:

upload_2020-6-28_21-8-22.jpeg

4. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

My home is pretty close to the wilderness maybe 2 miles east and 10 miles if you go north.I live in some great big game area and fair waterfowl hunting.My son wants to buy a tent like Natives ,but I would only use it if I went to Canada again.
    I have comfortable cots and pads and always have a carpet for the floor.I have several different kinds of heaters and mostly use them to take the morning chill out.I have a large bag that is warm and once I get in it's all over.

5. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Never had. Just looked them up. Cool.

I have these so I’m good with the new to me tent.

84759F8C-73EB-4366-809A-DB1E5E70D996.jpeg 83D6242F-FAF3-4666-8D71-8D67C5F9E6B6.jpeg

stevena198301 likes this.
  6. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Elite Refuge Member

Last time I actually camped was this.
    IMG_20130829_165259_807.jpg

Been renting a place since. Planning on purchasing a Seek Outside LBO this week, might need to stay on the mountain a few nights, figured that would cover me comfortably.

hobbydog likes this.
  7. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

I still like a tent when I camp, which ain't often. I can sleep anywhere, anytime. it's a gift.

But these days most of my hunting is near a friend or relative with a real bed.

8. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

My canvas tent has yet to get condensation inside; hasn't leaked a drop either(only been in light rain though). It's also cooler and breathes better in hot weather than any other I've ever used. Throw a cot with a pad in there and it's quite nice for tent camping.

9. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Global Moderator Sponsor Moderator

Phelps,New York (Heart of the Finger Lakes)
    I came here to smooth the woods, not rough it lol.... 33248976_10215924982258715_3204787558416384000_o.jpg

widgeon and waterrat like this.
  10. stevena198301

To each their own.