Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Whats your camp?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by salthunter, Jun 28, 2020.

1. newduk

newduk Elite Refuge Member

Duck camp is a rented house in Arkansas. Some have been rat dens, some a little nicer. But I have loved tent camping since I was a kid. Camped all over the country in my younger years, but been years since I've spent the night in a tent. Not sure my bones would tolerate it as well as in years past. It's a moot point now tho, wifey dislikes snakes and bugs, so no tent camping for us. Her idea of roughing it, is if the hotel doesn't have turn down service. :D

salthunter likes this.
  2. Quarne

Quarne Elite Refuge Member

Well, I agree with your Wife!:clap

WHUP ! Hen, OneShotBandit and newduk like this.
  3. newduk

newduk Elite Refuge Member

Unwind after a nice dinner, with a good single malt on the club level. Then retire to a king bed with crisp linens. I don't complain too much.:D

WHUP ! Hen, OneShotBandit and Quarne like this.
  4. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member

it's been crazy to think of how much the "necessary" stuff list has grown. 20 years ago the boys and I would go backpacking for a week with three 40lb backpacks. Now to go camping and include the wife and grandkids we have to take two trips, one to pull the camper and one to bring the gear. I can't say I don't enjoy the queen bed after a long day of rigorous battles with brown trout on the henry's fork. It's a tough life, but I'll deal with it.

salthunter, WHUP ! Hen and riverrat47 like this.
  5. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

I agree with the "crazy". I'm amazed at how little we used to carry when spotlighting during zero degree weather and I am ashamed at how much we need now just to hunt chukar off the road. Never mind if we have to chase them up the hills.

6. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Elite Refuge Member

I figure a couple weeks of year in a tent is something I should always do. I used to think it would make me appreciate the finer things, but I've found out it is something I actually enjoy.

Just got me a new big Agnes Copper Spur ul2. My old kelty gave it up during covid. Will be trying at in an undisclosed NF soon chasing some big trout (I hope).

salthunter and hobbydog like this.
  7. Pirogue

Pirogue Elite Refuge Member

Fug a tent !!

WHUP ! Hen and Grif like this.
  8. drahthaarducker

drahthaarducker Elite Refuge Member

My camping days on Assateague was a 4x4 drive to the VA line, blankets, campfire, cooler and grill. You couldn't actually camp but could "fish all night".

In California I use a tent,cot, stove...
    but out here I'm always in campgrounds.

I'm living in a 28' travel trailer and have my home in Maryland rented out since June 2017.

I guess I've actually been on a 3 year camping trip.

I love it, dont miss the house and upkeep one bit, I just let my property manager deal with it.

salthunter likes this.
  9. Clam

Clam Senior Refuge Member

I spent my 20’s through 40’s camping in first a van, then a pickup camper. All over Washington, BC was my favorite destination, and a couple trips to Alaska. Wonderful memories and experiences.

Nowadays I really enjoy comfort, so I always stay in the best hotel within a reasonable distance to the hunting grounds. I tried a motor home and it was okay, but not worth the hassle for a week long trip.

salthunter likes this.
  10. oldfireguy

oldfireguy Senior Refuge Member

Small cabin on 40 ac UP Michigan for deer.
    8 bunk bird camp ND Coteau for birds.
    Wall tent for Colorado elk.

fishnfool likes this.