What's your favorite Alliant bismuth recipe?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by PaulinKansas, Jan 13, 2021.

1. PaulinKansas

PaulinKansas Elite Refuge Member

I've got about 30 pounds of #4 bismuth that I'd like use up and reload. I know different guns will pattern loads differently, but what are some of your better patterning/performing reloads from the Alliant website. I've got components to make all of them. Not asking for your custom loads, unless you want to share them.

2. Dr Swane

Dr Swane Senior Refuge Member

GMG hull
    Win or federal primer
    Alliant steel 33 grain
    S4 wad or figure 8 clay buster
    1.125 oz bismuth
    Fold crimp

3. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Same here , the only added benefit is a little buffer and a Gaep finished fold crimp !

Dr Swane likes this.
  4. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

Where is This from? Dont see any asteel loads or god medal 2.75. I like the sound of it . What speed and pressure?

5. Dr Swane

Dr Swane Senior Refuge Member

1250fps. I use it in older guns where I want lower velocity. Patterns great

7AC10EEA-1F39-45D3-A2A2-C2AE2594B0D6.jpeg

6. PaulinKansas

PaulinKansas Elite Refuge Member

There is a load on the Alliant website under the steel section that is the same, except different wad and different material of pellet. 1425 fps and 9600 psi.

7. Ravenanme

Load #47 in Rosters manual is also pretty close , I really like this load for its pattern density outside the decoys with #4's Bismuth !

8. Mayor of Seneca

Mayor of Seneca Elite Refuge Member

Ever seen a load for Ballistic products BP over powder wad and BP wad you have to split as like those years ago just splitting them 1 slip for tighter pattern for outside the decoys.

9. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

So is this a load that has been tested, or just something getting passed around the internet and guys using it? Depending on the source load and all, I may feel more or less comfortable using it... for instance, using a steel shot load as basis for bismuth, can be sketchy with shot hardness and bismuth compression differences. Probably safe pressure wise, but could be a lot less? I like a lead crosscheck then. And would at the very least want to see 10 chrono shots of load to see the pressure is keeping the speed consistent without a high variance. So that is where who is reporting the load plays a part.

My own personal load is a wildcat too, I got it from goosepit2007. WinAA, 800x, 1.25oz. It is wierd that there aren't enough good 12ga loads for us to all just grab one and use it, hey?

10. Ravenanme

Dave , Ricks load is really close to what I've used before in 12 ga , the one I seem to use the most is the Fed GM hull , Fed 209A , 27.5 A Steel
    TUPRW12 , 1/8" felt U/shot , 22 grs Buffer inside 520 grs Bismuth ! This load works well in my guns out to 45 yds with #4's as I use it as a back-up
    for steel shot over thick tules to eliminate crip's !

It's a wildcat , use at your own risk !

Dave in AZ likes this.