Whats your hide

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by salthunter, Feb 14, 2015.

1. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

The reason I ask I put in two small pits on two fields and my back is killing me filling them back up.

We hunt almost exclusively winter wheat, often only inches high, more dirt than green. Most of the people and my daughters I took on hunts this year likely wouldn't have killed geese other than hunting from a pit. If it wasnt for a friends fields I would be using layouts

What type of hides are you shooting geese out of most often
    This year other than the pit in winter wheat I used my layout in regrowth winter wheat, a layout along a lake , cattails along the river. sage brush on a sand flat

Whats your hide?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  2. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

I hunt water, used an invisichair this year, tried it how it was meant to be used and just couldn't see well enough.

So I actually set it up with it sprung open like it sits when you flip it open to shoot, it has limiter straps so you can adjust how far back it swings, you can adjust these to your liking. I adjust them so my head is just inside the doorway, when I put cattails in the top they hang over my head, I put cattails sideways in the side straps and they then cover my sides/front, put the chair just behind the front row of cattails to also assist with front coverage.

This allows for cover over me while still allowing me easier sight around me by just ducking my head a little and being out of the blind part. I also still get to have a nice chair this way too.

I bet the invisihunter would be neat on field edges, I've sat next to a rock island in a field in a ghillie suit sitting in a Cabelas gobbler lounger, killed 7 honkers that day, mostly migrators. 2doz grounds black and white sillosocks, I think it was a dozen Higdon alpha shells as well, in a junk field.

Sometimes out of the ordinary works, even when you don't have 300 decoys or a primo chopped corn field to overshadow it.

Don't be afraid to make life easier on you and try something different, especially if it will keep you enjoying the hobby, no use in turning it into a crippling job.

3. 10gaBBB

10gaBBB Elite Refuge Member

winter wheat or picked bean fields are the toughest to hide in. Might consider
    just the ghilli-blanket and head rest. When hunting above-ground, you can't get a much lower profile.

4. 733SubDucker

733SubDucker Elite Refuge Member

September grass fields mowed short can be a pain.

Would love to have a pit or two, but I hunt 10 to 15 fields each year so it's not really an option.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  5. tweezerbeak

tweezerbeak Senior Refuge Member

Don't laugh. I will never dig a hole to hunt geese ever again. I have had all the geese I want from above ground blinds. And yes in sparse or new rye grass

6. MDcanvasback

MDcanvasback Elite Refuge Member

A-Frames with evergreen (arborvitae specifically) for cover OR Pits.

A-Frames are relatively cheap and easy to move. We build ours so that a machine with forks can pick them up and move them into position. They are not a hide and to the human eye they stick out like crazy, but the geese arent bothered by them and they are comfortable to hunt out of.

Pits are great but they arent cheap, take quite a bit of forethought in design plans and location, and a few days work building the pit and then a few days with a machine to set it.

The pits we hunt are in the flight path the birds have used for years and years. The A-Frames are in areas where the birds have started to use or a potential location for a pit in the future.

7. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

Agree with this.:tu Saw someone on here with pics. a year or two ago hunting in a winter wheat field with the ghilli and head rest set up and couldn't tell he was even there! Spot on with the bean fields also! We did hunt a bean field this late fall with above ground blinds that were mudded up but there was enough thatch left over after combining (which doesn't happen much) to fill in the blinds and it worked out great.

8. webfoot78

webfoot78 Elite Refuge Member

On any given year I'll hunt 20-40 different fields. Different crops. From flat turbo till (shredded),heavily ripped/disked corn, to grass.

I rarely get to shoot multiple days in the same field, it just doesn't work that way here. (However, I have places in northern IL that are totally traffic)

I use a lot of different ways to hide. I have powerhunters rigged for Ripped ground, power hunters rigged to turbo till, dead zones rigged for stubble, and blinds rigged for just grass.

Pits aren't really an option for most of my hunts, so you learn to hide like a ninja with what you've got.

9. chessydogs

chessydogs Refuge Member

Have to agree that drilled winter wheat sucks to hide it. Better off moving an A frame into the field or hunting the edge. Broadcast wheat for covercrop works better. See if your farmer will leave a few passes of unmowed/turbotilled stalks across the field for you. Gives you some structure to blend in to.

I would just as soon hunt a soybean field as corn. Put the layouts shoulder to shoulder and cover with raked bean stubble. Works great.

10. WABBIT-SLAYER

WABBIT-SLAYER Senior Refuge Member

We hunt out of an above ground blind made of plywood, brushed with reeds, tucked into a small island of trees/brush in a corn field. Works great most of the time.