California Flyway Forum Sponsors

When in doubt go to the ER

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Sweatliner, Dec 1, 2019.

1. George

George Elite Refuge Member

Glad you made it my friend... Just don't twist your head around too much while we are hunting... or cough... or sneeze... :tu

Brottboss likes this.
  2. Mudtoes

Mudtoes Senior Refuge Member

Glad you are going to be ok, tough to get older and harder to admit you aren’t indestructible anymore. About 5 years ago I was waking up and felt like my arms were asleep when I got up. Went to the doctor and found out I was a type 2 diabetic. They also said my PSA was a little elevated. Long story short I found I prostate cancer. Beat that, lost 50 pounds and control the diabetes through exercise and diet. I’m 68 and feel better than I did 10 years ago, hoping to keep chasing Waterfowl for at least another 12-15 years.
    Watch your health and keep going, every dawn in the marsh for me now is another day in paradise.

Brottboss and Silver Wings like this.
  3. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

So sad and so sorry to read this...Is this going on right now?... Are you still able to get out in the field?

Sweatliner likes this.
  4. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

Glad you are good. Currently waiting on the news from the doctors on a friend of mine here in Reno that had a heart attack yesterday. Does not look good.

freefall likes this.
  5. Silver Wings

Silver Wings Elite Refuge Member

I'm glad you were convinced to go to the ER. It can be a hard call to make when you have these odd, somewhat benign symptoms. I've told the story here before of how my uncle misdiagnosed his dissecting aortic aneurysm and it cost him his life while he was on a javalina hunt in Arizona. I'm curious, how do they propose to treat your dissection? Surgical intervention to make a repair that prevents further dissection???
    Good luck and good health moving forward!

Brottboss likes this.
  6. Silver Wings

Silver Wings Elite Refuge Member

Sorry to hear of your health problem. This part of the process is extremely stressful...the knowing, but not knowing all the details...your mind goes crazy trying to imagine all the possible scenarios. Take a deep breath and go one day at a time. Wishing you better news when you've had a chance to consult with the oncologist.

7. OFH

OFH Elite Refuge Member

Gee, Steve, am I glad to hear everything came out well. We can't afford to lose guys like you. And QP my sincere best wishes that you do indeed get to do your weekday hunting. Medicine today is doing some incredible things.

8. DuckFan

DuckFan Elite Refuge Member

Always listen to your aches and pains

Have lost a few that didn’t.

Great reminder Steve

9. Sweatliner

Sweatliner Elite Refuge Member

Was just on heavy duty blood thinners. Didn’t need surgery. A stent is normally used I believe. They said I had a significant tear, whatever that means. Blood pressure was high so I’m sure that didn’t help. I honestly never knew about arteries and I assumed a tear wouid do you in. Basically it’s a pipe with a liner. They liner tears and flaps around, can break off or clog artery. Clots can form and they go to brain and kills that part of brain and can kill ya. I’m think I’m about 50% right on the above. Was somewhat paying attention when they were going over. Dropped about 20 pounds just in case and on blood pressure pills still. Don’t have to take the blood thinners anymore. Boned out a couple of deer this year and damn was I careful, was still on the thinners. One on a backpack trip way deep in there.

Brottboss and Silver Wings like this.
  10. Sweatliner

Sweatliner Elite Refuge Member

There’s some pretty impressive drugs out now to keep it at bay. My Dad has been a guinea pig for quite a few years for new stuff and damn it works well. Hang in there