When is it okay for a dog to bite?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Lip Shooter, Aug 15, 2019 at 4:56 PM.

1. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

I have always had a zero aggressive policy with our dogs. A stranger should be able to simply pull a t-bone away with zero issues.

I had full bloods and rescued dogs the all learn growls, or hair raising is 100% un acceptable. Let alone biting.

I understand not living in a subdivision a person may want a little scare factor or aggression from a dog.

Whats your take on a biting dog?

2. PaulinKansas

PaulinKansas Elite Refuge Member

"Does your dog bite?"
    "No"
    Tries to pet dog and it bites him.
    "I thought you said your dog does not bite!"
    "That is not my dog."

3. captaininsano050

captaininsano050 Senior Refuge Member

A stranger pulling a bone away from a dog with no issues? Maybe you don't understand the nature of dogs.

What do you mean "you had full bloods"?

I don't like pit bulls much as I'm not into fighting dogs, but even my lab will bite a little when we are rough housing. Every dog is different but a real bite requires a proper response. All dogs want to test you a little to see if you're in charge or not.

Are you talking dogs in general or retrievers and pointers? Obviously different breeds will be more inclined to bite and fight and be testy SOB's.

10GAGENUT likes this.
  4. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

My dogs are part of the family. If you threaten any of us to include them, I don't really expect them to bite you but I'll be proud of them if they do! Don't expect loyal animals to not defend me/we/us from a stranger. I don't have much respect for Cops etc that are so quick to shoot a dog... Mace or pepper spray will work just fine in most situations and some cops are far too trigger happy with animals that do not pose near the threat that they are made out to be! My dogs for the most part are all bark and no bite. But atleast my BLM takes neighborhood watch serious. The females are mouthy but not as quick to approach and get their hackles up.

5. waterrat

waterrat Elite Refuge Member

My female lab is an absolute sweetheart. She wouldn't hurt a fly. But, she will eat your azz if you come in my bedroom during nighttime hours unannounced. Good girl! Daddy loves you.

Fowler267 likes this.
  6. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

My lab wouldn’t hurt a fly, and if you brought him a steak, he’d let you have free run of the house all day.

7. newduk

newduk Elite Refuge Member

I've never owned a biting dog. One thing I absolutely will not tolerate. Zero aggression toward family or guests.

8. Bigshot75

Bigshot75 Senior Refuge Member

If it’s a pit bull or a chocolate lab I say season is open, other than that it just depends on the situation I’d guess.

captaininsano050 likes this.
  9. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

If you enter my home unannounced, my wifes pomeranian would tear your face off if he was actually capable of it. He thinks he is the biggest, toughest dog on the planet. My AWS would bark at you, try to lick your face then expect to be petted. She thinks everyone is her friend.

riverrat47 and Fowler267 like this.
  10. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

My BLM was an abused stray that I nabbed/captured at Walmart. He took ten months to warm up to me.... Women he loves and charms.... Men; He is suspicious of but will settle down with time.

If you push the No Good Shady Basturd Alarm(Doorbell) He gets highly offended!

NCM_0192.JPG

Timber Hole and Lip Shooter like this.