Gun Dog Forum Sponsors

When is it okay for a dog to bite?

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Lip Shooter, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Elite Refuge Member

My lab is going to bark like a badass if a burglar comes to the door. If they decide it’s their lucky day and they come on in she is going to bring them her toy to throw. My best hope is that she will keep them busy long enough for the police to show up. I have wondered what she would do if someone tried to hurt us. Not sure about that.

2. cacklercrazy

cacklercrazy Senior Refuge Member

When it's a bad guy or a liberal Democrat, or some type of inspector from the state. Only bad thing is the dog might need pen g shots afterwards.

Mrs.10GAGENUT likes this.
  3. Mrs.10GAGENUT

Mrs.10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

My dog doesn't bite or at least so far he hasn't been put in a situation he would.
    What I like is when the Jehovah Witness people come to the door, usually they don't stick around more than a few seconds with him barking and trying to drag me out the door after them. :eek:

4. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Heck, yes, it's OK for a dog to bite. What's not OK is for someone to put a good dog in a situation where it would have reason to.

Hoytman, Randy, GUNNERX2 and 2 others like this.
  5. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

Do I have to pay extra for that?

Hogleg, stevena198301 and waterrat like this.
  6. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Elite Refuge Member

Understand that a dog is an animal and will do what it will do no matter what. How many of you have kids that at one point did something you never thought they would have done? People you can somewhat reason with. Dogs are dogs. Never trust that a dog won't bite someone. Mine goes with me everywhere, is well socialized, and loves everyone. But something could still set him off for some reason. I'm always watching his behaviors while out around people.

I am the type that won't put up with an aggressive dog. Even my guard dogs are passive. Ups drivers have become accustomed to them, as the dogs now look for treats to come out the door of that big brown box with wheels.

IMG_20170126_174109717.jpg

That's the welcome wagon.

newduk, fishmunkee and Vammy like this.
  7. Steelshot Scott

Steelshot Scott Elite Refuge Member

My dog barks at intruders on his domain, but he doesn't bite. His bark is impressive enough that it intimidates most people.

I have a zero biting policy on family and friends. I don't want a mean dog. I have a mean gun. I don't need a mean dog.

8. Vammy

Vammy Elite Refuge Member

Had a Great Pyrenees not so many years ago. Awesome dog, a little big at 220lbs, he hated coyotes. Living in the country, there were several mornings where he’d be bloody from chin to chest without a scratch on him.

Aries “porches” my parents once; they came to OK to visit, my (ex) wife was in the barn and he let them up on the front porch and then sat between them and my wife. My Dad said he wasn’t afraid, but knew better than to try walking towards the barn :l

9. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Elite Refuge Member

Some of them can be aggressive. All mine (5 right now) are passive, but scare the daylights out of people. I had one a number of years ago that we got when the owner got tired of the vet bills. Thing kept chasing bear out of the flock. That was probably one of the best ones I had. Still wasn't ever aggressive, at least not around other dogs or people. But had the scars to show it at least wasn't passive towards bear.

Vammy likes this.
  10. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

My parents first male lab had a tendency to nip/bite house guests when they went to leave or if he wanted something from them.

One day my brother and I were playing in the kitchen, the lab walked across the kitchen and bit my brother in the face.

The dog didn’t last through the night. Fifty years later, my brother still has the scar.

So no, dogs should not bite.

My first male lab was somewhat aggressive. He got in a fight at doggie daycare. Which I think made him more aggressive. He did not like strangers in the yard. If you showed up unannounced, he let you know. He'd show his teeth, snap and growl. When my daughter was a couple weeks old, I set her down by the dog for a picture. The dog made a slight growl at her. So the dog and I then had a come to Jesus meeting. He never growled at any family members again including cousins etc. Except my ex BIL. He is way out there and the dog new it.

It was nice I’d let him out while the kids were playing in the back yard. Nobody would come in the yard.

BTW he’d always take awhile to warm up to the vet until the day the vet put him down. The dog new it was time.