When to hunt Saskatchewan?

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by lockingblock, Mar 14, 2021.

1. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

So, those crop circles are dern mallards and not the aliens?

10ga.crazy and 870 like this.
  2. 10ga.crazy

10ga.crazy Senior Refuge Member

Its because most years the birds are gone by November especially on the north end of the prairies. We are often frozen out well before halloween and the pressure from outfitters has pushed them out quicker. Our seasons are long on paper but short in reality. This year with the border closed and the outfitters pretty much non-existent was a major game changer in how long the birds stuck. We were actually able to harvest greenheads with green heads for a change! As much as I hate to see it happen for the few honest guides reliant upon the industry for a living a part of me wants to see the border remain closed long enough to severely negatively impact the majority of local outfitters. The majority in my area are some of the most ignorant law breaking sob's around and I'd love to see every one of them go bankrupt.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    KENNEDY63, pounder, JP and 3 others like this.
  3. lockingblock

lockingblock Senior Refuge Member

I understand your point. My experiences with outfitters have been mixed, with some very negative outcomes from “guides” and similar that were as you describe. It’s a shame that it’s like that.

10ga.crazy likes this.
  4. recker999

recker999 Senior Refuge Member

My dads buddy has a camp on a manitoba lake for divers. Already said it will be a no go and joined a club in illinois.

10ga.crazy likes this.
  5. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

I like the mallards dark green, latest I hunted in AB - basically east of Edmonton was October 30 a few years back and we saw the freeze up of all the little water happen overnight as went from 50 degrees driving out to minus 10 the next morning. Hunting was incredible.

2019 we hunted same area- around October 10 and we got pounded with a big storm but except for middle day which took all day to get most of our limits, the other two days were fantastic.

So, October 30 is what most outfitters on the lower section plan for. If I was going in November, I wouldn't want to have any thing be hard money - no refund, at worst I would take is roll to next year as it gets chance after 11/1.

After early October, likelihood of getting everything including snow geese goes down.