When...

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by JP, May 6, 2020.

1. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

JP, so let’s say you a R to L 12-15 mph cross wind. Birds lock up and present a crossing target from the L. First two volleys sends them up and away (sliding). What appears as birds going back to the left with the wind are really birds still moving slightly forward, thus holding to the right of them is the “correct line”? I’m not disagreeing with that at all, just curious what others think.

2. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Elite Refuge Member

If another hunter is with me my guns going to the outside fringe bird inside 45 yds. on my side. I,ll kill; that one first and take others as they flare up. Lets my fiend get some cherry birds tite to them maybe. Depending on amount of decoying birds if friend misses those cherry shots then its game on if I can shoot safely.

JP likes this.
  3. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Until the gun is fully mounted, I'm looking at the one bird I've picked out as my first target. As the gun slides into full mount, I close my left eye and glance down the rib with my right eye (I shoot right-handed) to ensure my head is down on the stock (having my head not fully on the stock causes me to miss more birds than anything else), then I open both eyes and refocus on the target bird.

Just looking for my second and, if I'm really lucky that day, third target.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  4. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I don't chose a second bird before firing the first shot.
    One, it takes away my concentration on the first bird. Next, the best choice for a second target will probably change after the first shot is fired, and there will likely be a better choice for the second target than the one chosen before the birds come to know I am present.
    The bird I had previously chosen as my second target could well be a really bad choice for a killing shot in the chaos that ensues after the first bird drops. I don't decide on my second/third target until I'm ready to shoot that second/third target.
    This also helps me by not pre-determining that I'll shoot a second bird when shooting at that bird could be a very low-percentage shot. I.e. by not choosing a second target before firing at the first target, I don't feel unwanted 'pressure' to shoot at a bird that I have little chance of killing.
    By not pre-determining a second target, I also am able to concentrate on the first bird, staying on it until I clearly see that it is coming down hard. If that first bird is coming down with its head up, I shoot it again (and again, if necessary) until it is dead in the air or my gun is empty. It may be a personal fault of only me, but if I pre-pick a second target, I tend to pull off the first bird when I should stay on it and finish the job.
    That's the way I hunt these days. Your results may vary.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  5. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Find the line.

If you cannot (with both eyes open) visually see the angle of flight for both incoming as well as departure, pointing the shotgun to have the payload intersect with the bird at the desired location is almost always problematic.

~44 seasons of shooting RH (with having to close my left eye) and being left eye dominant was definitely a handicap, perpetuated by the false notion that I could not make the switch over to the correct side.

Determining eye dominance and adaptation to pointing a shotgun from that side early on is IMO the prescription for elimination of much frustration.

6. Waxed Canvas

Waxed Canvas Elite Refuge Member

Eliminate all the stress: Skillet shoot em’.

Neighbor Guy, creedsduckman and JP like this.
  7. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

You describe what is pretty much my favorite shot with my highest kill percentage. (wind from 5-15) It's not as complicated as you make it sound. If you have the birds over the decoys at 20-25 yards you put your eyes on the bird and pull the trigger.

8. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Oh, I agree whole hardly BB. Birds that close in the dekes get smoked. No illusion there. It’s the ones that catch the wind and start sliding at ~40 yards that can give the appearance of moving backwards/leftward. I think what JP (and Digweed) are suggesting is those birds are still moving somewhat forward and thus require a little lead. Reading them correctly is critical and most hunters apparently miss that shot because they don’t distinguish that flight path.

9. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

JFG,

in your example the bird is both moving forward and peeling off as the wind is exerting force on each trajectory. I would allow for a lead that not only takes forward progress into account but also the lateral angle of progress. Point and shoot ahead and outside of the bird so as to triangulate where it will be when the shot cloud arrives.

Geometry aside, IMO the critical function is being able to observe these type of actions and eventually inherently know how to react w/o having to overtly think about it.

Wobble trap is a good training aid especially with the birds coming out of the house at hard angles.

JFG likes this.
  10. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

If we are strictly talking mallards my main concern is gonna be are the people that are at the park I'm apparently hunting at out of my field of fire and hopefully not carrying a wonder bread bag so I don't get a baiting ticket too! :nutz

Gangirg, JP and duckbuster5901 like this.