When...

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by JP, May 6, 2020.

1. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Yes TSS will help some as pattern density rules all on windy days with its 18 g/cc ! About the only way I can describe someone who shoots good in the wind ,
    is he has the ability to paint the bird out of the sky , with a brush stroke of his barrel ! It's hard to do with a heavy coat on or laying flat on your back ! BUT ,
    one has to remember to keep his cheek down on the comb so the shot goes , where you're looking ! :yes:tu

Waxed Canvas and Billy Bob like this.
  2. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Our storms are warm, 50 degrees give or take 5. Long underwear shirt or maybe a hoodie under a light rubber raincoat is all I wear and gun mount isn't changed because that is what I always wear. Thankfully the birds get stupid so I can sit up.

3. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator

Sustained lead, pull through, spot shoot can all have their place, even on the same flock. It's all pretty automatic to me. Keeping the gun down and observing the big picture as they come in can give you a basic idea of how you approach the shooting . Triples give me an idea of what my mindset was. The second and third shots were sometimes easy to figure out, but sometimes not.

Waxed Canvas, JRS and JP like this.
  4. bang you'r dead

Sustained lead, pull through, spot shoot can all have their place, even on the same flock. It's all pretty automatic to me. Keeping the gun down and observing the big picture as they come in can give you a basic idea of how you approach the shooting . Triples give me an idea of what my mindset was. The second and third shots were sometimes easy to figure out, but sometimes not.

5. Ravenanme

I always enjoy your video's Warren , it's the shots where you're looking for a scotch double to materialize , not rushing the shot but , seeing the forward
    allowance and moving to the next bird and the next ! It comes with experience and having a lot of targets to practice on , a typical outing North of our Border !
    We do have a few of these opportunities , down here . :yes
    What's the deal with NO 12 ga / 10 ga auto's up in your neck of the woods ?:scratch

6. bang you'r dead

It's all good. Liberal gov't states that shotguns (with exception of Benelli military models) are exempt, and 20mm bore is only applied to rifles.

7. Ravenanme

Yeah didn't think the rumor's floating around were that bad , Thanks !
    In these video's , what would you guess the farthest shots were ? And , also the average first shots ?

8. toby

toby Elite Refuge Member

Usually I start with panic. I don’t see a ton of mallards. The panic starts when I see them so I don’t understand the setting into the decoys thing because I have already raised up and they see me and start to evade. I miss the first one ahead because they are hitting the brakes, then When they peel out I miss behind and then there is the final third shot that is not even aimed. Finally since I hunt alone I check the people who are set up close to see if they saw me miss. Then I blame the gun. My record is I missed a blubill at 15 yds three times and our eyes were locked up the first two. It was like The Matrix. If I would have hit him with the third shot I would have felt bad. By that time we had bonded in a stressful moment.

SkolMNDuckHunter, JP and Waxed Canvas like this.
  9. Waxed Canvas

Waxed Canvas Elite Refuge Member

D-A-Y-U-M

10. Waxed Canvas

Waxed Canvas Elite Refuge Member

It’s a catch 22.