California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Where’d they go?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by WaterFoulHunter, Oct 15, 2021.

1. Drake Slayer

Drake Slayer Elite Refuge Member

Somewhere standing in stinky water cussing my damn
    They're hiding on nonhunted land in Oregon

Attached Files:

WaterFoulHunter likes this.
  2. CalBaer

CalBaer Elite Refuge Member

I thought Alturas and Alturas Ranches was the new Mecca!!

Dan Mallia and Double Reed like this.
  3. Double Reed

Double Reed Senior Refuge Member

Only if you know where to turn the water on when the owner of the ranch is not looking.

Refugeguy and Dan Mallia like this.
  4. RefugeHunter

RefugeHunter Elite Refuge Member

Modoc and Lassen are a crap shoot, always have been.

Opening day is always great and opening Sunday sucks but it could freeze the weekend after that and kick every duck up and over the hill. Then you're waiting on a thaw and a new batch of birds coming in.

If you live up in Susanville or Alturas you can make it work but it's tough with a 6 hour drive from the bay area. The place can be loaded with birds, you jump in the car and the next morning they're gone and you're staring at ice.

freefall likes this.
  5. HONKSRWORKN

HONKSRWORKN Elite Refuge Member

We scouted our blind while it was flooding up Fri morn … I swear it looked like the closed zone got up off each of the 4 ponds with water , the one filling .. Toe water was loaded with Specks … looks like where theres water there are dux .. we’re about the only water in the area besides the refuge so it’s looking promising for sure … I think I’ve seen more dux before this season than I saw all last season … no bs … and it’s not just sprig all kinds .. they’re here …
    Just got a NE report and it looks like I’m heading up that way this weekend but it’s only an 1.5 hrs , wouldn’t do a 6 hr drive anyplace in this state .. too many idiots on the roads these days … We’re pretty fortunate that we get to hunt private ground with one or two fairly good sized ponds fed by hot springs … they don’t freeze completely leaving just enough open water for the green heads to pile in … It’s been great the last few seasons … be nice to shoot a few dux and get the pup some work ..

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    candafish likes this.
  6. dakinunit

dakinunit Elite Refuge Member

You and Cody hooking up???

7. Refugeguy

Refugeguy Elite Refuge Member

Premature ejaculation is all that was

Dan Mallia likes this.
  8. dakinunit

dakinunit Elite Refuge Member

Spot on post,folks that live up there just wait for another day lol....

9. HONKSRWORKN

HONKSRWORKN Elite Refuge Member

Yup , … he called and says … Why aren’t you up here it’s ON you should know … We’ll I don’t just show up at buddy’s place with out an invite so yup I’m heading up that way this afternoon after I help set out our water spread at the club … At least it’s not freezing up there yet .. I’ve got about the best cold weather gear SitKa and KUIU make and I still get cold up there just sitting in the blind … 7 degrees is frikin cold … then you add the wind … that North Eastern zone is one tuff place to hunt in the winter .. The men that live and hunt up there are true mountain men .. It’s not for the faint of heart …. I love it up there , feels like your in a different state ..

WaterFoulHunter likes this.
  10. Baldplate

Baldplate Senior Refuge Member

Different country.