Where can I find native seeds / grasses?

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by DisplacedDuck, May 20, 2021.

1. DisplacedDuck

DisplacedDuck Senior Refuge Member

Posted this over on the Oklahoma forum as well, but bouncing between states I figured I ought to post here as well.

My wife and I are starting to do some gardening, might even build a greenhouse. I'll leave the flowers and what not to her, but figured it'd be nice to be involved in some capacity--I think I'd like to grow some of the less-commercial waterfowl seeds and grasses.

That being said, does anyone know where I could get my hands on some seed for the following:

Nodding smartweed
    Redroot Flatsedge
    Oriental Lady's Thumb

I already have some Penn. Smartweed in transit.

If someone had some seed on hand, I'd be happy to pay shipping and whatever you deem a fair price.

2. Mack Molloy

Mack Molloy Elite Refuge Member

We have Nodding Smartweed and are trying to keep it under control. Damn stuff grows extremely tall and does not lay down. Would not be my first choice 8DD8F8E3-6340-4734-AB22-A76EEE260769.jpeg

bullpinnie likes this.
  3. WuChang

WuChang Elite Refuge Member

You might try River Refuge Seed Company out of Oregon

bullpinnie and DisplacedDuck like this.
  4. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Senior Refuge Member

Mack, curious.........does it not lay down after frosts? It is dang thick in that pic so can imagine trying to find a downed bird in that might be next to impossible!!!

5. DisplacedDuck

DisplacedDuck Senior Refuge Member

WuChang, thank you! They indeed had the Penn. Smartweed type, but none of the types listed above.

Mack, that's crazy! I know nodding smartweed could get tall, but I didn't figure a whole stand could be 6+ feet! Crazy.

What's the seed production like on that stand? I can't imagine that if it spent all that energy getting 12 feet tall it would produce as many sees as it's dwarf (normal-sized) counterparts. Yeesh.

6. Mack Molloy

Mack Molloy Elite Refuge Member

It does not lay down and I don’t think it produces as much seed. If you ever decided to try, would do it on a small scale. Moist soil management will stimulate Pennsylvania smartweed and wild millet here in Missouri.

7. WuChang

you are welcome
    Our place is about a mile off the Mississippi in Lincoln County MO
    Like Mack said millet does well here. I like it because it volunteers with little or no effort and both ducks and geese seem to like it

Our experiment this year is wild rice.....code name Project Objibaway :l :l :l
    We have willow/soft maple sloughs that have the same water table as the creek on the other side of the levee...ie can’t really drain it, so this stuff is supposed to grow in shallow water/mud
    It wasn’t hard to put in and we figure it can’t hurt
    Right now it is about 3 inches out of the water...might get 4 foot tall but supposedly will have plenty of room for ducks and dogs under it

Had 29 geese on the levee the other day......haven’t seen them in it but we might have make it a point to run them off :yes

8. MoReb32

MoReb32 New Member

Where did you get the wild rice seed?

9. WuChang

River Refuge Seed Company