Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Where did you hunt as a kid?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by salthunter, Jun 9, 2021.

1. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

As young hunters. Scott and I were driven out to Middle lake.
    A few times we were dropped along the Minnesota River.
    Once with a driver licence, any lake or wetland would do, close to town, that might have ducks.
    At that time, a gun, shells, a cheap OLT call, and a Jones hat made one a duck hunter.

2. Kansan

Kansan Senior Refuge Member

Same places I hunt today. I’m blessed to own/have access to lots of land here in Kansas. Wouldn’t trade it for the world.

salthunter, burgawboy and ARHHH4 like this.
  3. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Elite Refuge Member

My barn.

Took a while but I finally got a pigeon with that almost toy recurve I had.

Then I started to branch out further on the farm.

4. ARHHH4

ARHHH4 Elite Refuge Member

As a kid I can remember chasing rabbits with my dad. I’d carry a stick with me and walk behind dad and watch as our beagles would work ditch lines and briar thickets. If the ground was muddy I can remember jumping into dads footsteps as I walked behind him, because it was easier walking than my own foot sinking into the muddy fields. I remember sitting on a five gallon bucket hot as can be in September swatting skeeters and flys as dad tried to fill a dove limit. One time when I was in first grade, dad told me he’d take me deer hunting if I wanted to go. So we set a date on the calendar and I counted down the days like Christmas was coming. Dad came and picked me up from school, the longest school day of my life as I watched the clock continuously all day long. As we drove out to the woods I can remember dad blowing into a grunt call and telling me when to use it and how hard to blow. He handed it to me in the car and let me blow on it til we got to the woods. We climbed into an old “permanent stand” as he and my uncle would call it. Some 2x4’s screwed up into the fork of a tree with a ply wood floor. We sat there for a while and then I can remember dad saying, “I see one.” He kinda pointed with his finger in the direction of where it was. I can remember trying to move to where I could see them and he gave me a motion with his hand to “stop.” He told me to get my grunt call and “do what we did in the car, do it twice.” A couple seconds later he asked me if I wanted him to shoot it? I responded with yes!!!! I remember watching him draw his bow back and shooting, but I never at any point in time saw the deer. He told me he hit it, but I couldn’t figure out why we just kept sitting there perched up in the tree. I wanted to get down and go look at it. We waited for what seemed like forever before climbing down and locating his arrow. We followed a blood trail for a little while before he tapped me on the shoulder and pointed up ahead. About forty yards in front of us laid a small button buck. Once dad field dressed it, he handed me his bow and had me carry it back to the truck. He threw the deer of his shoulders and carried it back to the car. My family runs a new/used Chrysler/GM dealership here in town, and that day when dad picked me up at school, he was driving a dark green Chrysler lebaron convertible with a tan top. When we got back to the car I asked him what we were gonna do with the deer? He took his jacket off and laid it down in the trunk. He then proceeded to lay the deer down on top of his coat, as to not get any blood in the trunk. Since this day, 29 years ago this fall, I’ve heard dad retell this hunt numerous times. He will tell people that he would have passed that deer up six days a week and twice on Sunday’s. But, he says that when I hit that grunt call the two times he told me to, he says the deer turned and came in on a line broadside about fifteen yards away. He said at that point in time he figured if he could arrow it, that it would make for a great story someday. As far as my ducks go, we went to church with a guy who worked for the state at a public walk in area. He called me about the states youth hunt and asked if I’d be interested in going. I was 14 that year. I shot a hen woodie that came zipping past. She had no intention of ever stopping or giving us a look. The next year I asked him if he’d take me again? We hunted the state site where he worked and I ended my day with two drakes and a hen mallard, one of the drakes hangs in my basement to this day. From that day on, the ducks and geese have had me hooked. I’ll deer hunt a bit here and there, dove hunt in September to cure my summertime itch. But from October through March it’s ducks and geese for me and my two young boys.

5. texduk3

texduk3 Senior Refuge Member

Chased wabbits and tree rats in the local "right of way" woods, w a Crossman 760 Powermaster.
    Then in upstate NY, Saugerties, at my wife's family property. Mossberg .22 then a .35 marlin lever.

ARHHH4 likes this.
  6. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Walking countless miles chasing pheasants and quail every weekend and a long weekend chasing grouse/prairie chickens each fall. Then upland and deer once in high school. Then all hell broke loose in my mid twenties when I started waterfowling. :doh Pheasant numbers dwindled so much it wasn’t worth the effort and I couldn’t take sitting in a tree stand and watching the migration going on and only being a few hundred yards from the water( Missouri River) I hunted. I sold my bow, muzzleloader, and rifle and now it’s only waterfowl and turkeys.

WHUP ! Hen and nobands like this.
  7. eugene molloy

eugene molloy Elite Refuge Member

My late Father's veg plot.

He often said (post WWII when good fresh food in UK was very scarce) that any gardener plagued by rabbits or wood pigeons was in dire need of a small boy with an air rifle.

I was that soldier.

Tucked myself in round the back of the compost bin with a sub 12 ft/ lb .22 BSA and shot everything flat. Mum was a good cook and turned all of it into wholesome appetising meals; a nice fat rabbit plus some home grown onions, carrots, herbs and peas .... wonderful. Three woodies made a pie and never since have I had a better one.

Bless you both Ma and Da.

8. Larry Welch

Larry Welch Senior Refuge Member

As a kid my father was a big quail hunter. I followed him and his two bird dogs with a finger pincher pump bb gun until I was eventually big enough to use a single barrel 20. I accompanied him on a few dove hunts. We bird hunted until the mid 80s and then switched to deer as the quail population all but disappeared in our part of the country. I hunted ducks with friends by walking into creeks and beaver ponds. I love chasing waterfowl but if the quail population was consistent as it was in the 70s and most of the 80s that would be my first choice. I miss my ol man, I miss watching his dogs work, I appreciate all the memories of those times.

9. Steel3's

Steel3's Elite Refuge Member

That triggered memories. I first hunted ducks in 1975 at age 15 on the public areas of California's Central Valley: Colusa, Delevan, and Sacramento NWR, and Gray Lodge and Mendota WMAs. A borrowed 870 Wingmaster with a 30-inch full-choked plain barrel shooting Remington Mohawk lead 4's, camo Jones-style hat, $18.00 Pacific rubber chest waders, a quilted interior/vinyl exterior camo rain coat with plastic vents under the arms, and a Faulks pintail whistle and black-plastic Olt mallard call. I felt like a duck hunter, but didn't have consistent, competent mentors, so I'll be forever grateful for the cooperative spoonies in those early years that kept me coming back until I learned something.

10. bayport

bayport Senior Refuge Member

Bayport Michigan

duckbuster2 likes this.