where is everyone?

Discussion in 'New York Flyway Forum' started by lablover, Nov 6, 2018.

1. lablover

lablover New Member

Just curious as to how folks are doing this year thus far? Personally it has not been to kind. Very few birds around.

2. Jay Mo 37

Jay Mo 37 Refuge Member

I took a long ride up to the Clayton area this past Fri/Sat and we harvested some geese. Seemed to be a good number of birds up there.

3. 1bigduck

1bigduck Senior Refuge Member

Love that Clayton area, nice town can be good when there are birds around.

lablover likes this.
  4. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Global Moderator Sponsor Moderator

Phelps,New York (Heart of the Finger Lakes)
    We've been doing good , slowed a bit , but still ducks around. 1118180941a_HDR~2.jpg 1112180934_HDR.jpg

5. benelli12bore

benelli12bore Senior Refuge Member

Not much action as of late. Might get after some rabbits tomorrow and look for ducks after Christmas. This rain just added a lot of water.

6. TheCanMan

TheCanMan Senior Refuge Member

Water levels were real high yesterday. Highest I’ve seen this season. Most all the geese I saw were on the water but a fair number of ducks were flying, but it’s been pretty spotty. Saw lots of ducks during the first split, then nothing for a long time once the second split got underway, I mean absolutely nothing for a long time, seeing more activity recently but very spotty. My local zone closes end of this month ... was not a good second split this year but seemed to pick up towards the end.

7. benelli12bore

benelli12bore Senior Refuge Member

Very spotty indeed! We decided to do a quick sit before chasing rabbits and got our limit of blacks and a bonus mallard. I love this 2 black duck limit.

Checked out a few spots today and not much was seen. I haven't seen much ducks after the southern zone deer season opened which was when the cold and snow moved through.

I agree it was not a good second split compared to years past but it could certainly be worse.

8. mazenblue

mazenblue Refuge Member

I've been seeing a ton of geese and alot of mallards floating around. Hopefully they hang around till after the holidays.

9. 1bigduck

1bigduck Senior Refuge Member

Chase them down our direction, one weekend left.

10. TheCanMan

TheCanMan Senior Refuge Member

Slim Pickens ... water level is back down a bit. Had 3 different pairs of blacks come low into the spread between 6:45am - 7:15am and they were the only ducks I saw for the rest of the morning, left at 11:15am. Nothing in the air, nothing on the water. Very happy they pushed the black limit to 2 this year!