Where to start

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by thatguy2, Jul 6, 2016.

1. KSU86

KSU86 Senior Refuge Member

Thatguy -
    Your pond is looking great with all the vegetation filled in... & perfect size for an "old" dog to be king of the retrieving world.

stevena198301 likes this.
  2. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

Went down there today to retrieve a decoy I was hoping the 30 mph north wind would push to shore. Drake mallard and some gwt on it. Going to get a blind so I can take the kids down there.

3. DisplacedDuck

DisplacedDuck Senior Refuge Member

That's awesome tg! So happy with how this has panned out. Thanks for keeping us up to date, and please continue to do so!

4. thatguy2

So only shot the one duck on it during the season. Been lots of geese flying over but with work not much time to hunt them. I wish I wouldve had a generator for my ice eater. I am clearing all the trees between the pond and the road to give it better visability. Ive sowed clover all the way around it and will keep it mowed short. Thinking about having someone hay the stuff north of the pond to give me a nice hay meadow all along the north shore.

5. thatguy2

Hybrid bluegills are getting big. Lost a bunch to large flood events this spring.
    20190727_163457.jpg
    Ive removed all the trees. Also keeping the grass mowed around the pond. Ive got browntop millet planted on the backside of the pond dam.
    20190727_170558.jpg 20190727_170351.jpg 20190727_170245.jpg 20190725_191220.jpg

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  6. DisplacedDuck

DisplacedDuck Senior Refuge Member

That bluegill is huge! I'm sure catching them is a blast. Congrats on a fruitful endeavor.

7. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

Nice work ThatGuy!!!! Dual purpose and keeping that grass short should be a recipe for some successful early season honker hunts!!!!

Good luck

8. thatguy2

I believe when we get another big drought we are going to enlarge the pond. Ive also stocked catfish and regular bluegill in it. Thats jap millet lining the water.

It gets alot of traffic from the lake to the south. Canadas fly over headed out to feed and fly back treetop tall right over the pond. I am hoping to put out a set to make it look like some birds loafing and shoot a few.

Not sure what to do on the wayer side of the dam. Too steep to mow. May mox up some 2 4 d and rodeo, nuke it, burn it, and plant buckwheat.

9. thatguy2

Millet coming up on the pond dam
    20190819_184827.jpg

THEIRCOMMITED10 likes this.
  10. thatguy2

Season starts tomorrow and little man wants to go. Expectations are low but there are alot of ducks in the area just none sitting on the pond proper. I due see some wood ducks go in on it in the AMs from my treestand so hoping we can get a shot. Lots of birds in the area so hopefully we can traffic a few. 20191108_130154.jpg 20191108_130103.jpg