Which Benelli Semi?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Danketch71, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Danketch71

Danketch71 New Member

Hey guys,

1st year waterfowler here. Been using my 870 with 28" vent rib. Its fine.

My xmas bonus money is going to be burning a hole in my pocket here soon, and want to get into a semi.

I have narrowed it down to a few, but I realize I don't need a 3.5" chamber for what I do. I do want inertia system.

Looking at the Benelli BEST finish, looks pretty cool. Comes in Ethos and Super Black Eagle models. Looks like Ethos is just the 3" chamber model of SBE. Anybody run one? Or compare it to the M2?

Thanks.

2. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Elite Refuge Member

3. toby

toby Elite Refuge Member

I shoot a 1990s Montefeltro. Never a problem. Easy to clean. It shoots better than me. I like the M2 also.

Bclick likes this.
  4. Danketch71

Danketch71 New Member

Why the M2 over the Ethos? Or the SBE? Any experience with that BEST finish they have in the SBE or it? I'm new to semi-autos, but I am doing research. Thanks.

5. toby

toby Elite Refuge Member

I highly encourage you to try them all. Shoulder them, borrow them , shoot them. Likely they all work. But which one fits you? Only you can answer that question. For me the Montefeltro works and I am not a guy to change if something works.

ronaldo, Out of focus and Tuleman like this.
  6. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Elite Refuge Member

I,ve shot an 12 gauge M2 since second year they were introduced. Prior to that an SBE1. Love my M2. and switched to it because of the adjustability of comfort tech buttstock. All Benelli,s are too front light for me so I added frontal weight to make them swing better but you might like the light front. My M2 has been trouble free for all these years. First few years I owned it I shot Sporting weekly with it as well as waterfowl hunted and run it for 3 years before deep cleaning . Did keep it blowed out with air hose and barrel swabbed out but no action/spring cleaning. When I finally removed recoil spring it was completely clean. Broke it in initially w/1250FPS x 1 1/8 oz. reloads shooting sporting same as I had my SBE1. They are about as trouble free an autoloading shotgun as you can get in my opinion. Montefeltro is very similar platform except for rib difference and barrel options and of course buttstock design. As far as actual cleaning the SBE1&2 are really easier to rough clean where popping barrel off opens up trigger assembly for flushing if needed and blowing out w air hose. You don,t have to shoot 3.5" shells in the shotgun just because its chambered for them. You will feel slightly more recoil from either than a gas gun but its not excessive and can be diminished with different add ons. I,ve had no experience with Ethos . Loved my M2 enough this summer I picked up a 20 after trying an SX3 .The 20 M2 is even sweeter..

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  7. Bclick

Bclick Elite Refuge Member

If both are pushing 2200 bucks I'd go with the SBE. When you dump it down the road the 3.5s always bring more than the 3". In the meantime the upper that separates with the barrel makes it a ton easier to clean. If money is no object I think you'll be happy either way.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    OneShotBandit likes this.
  8. Danketch71

Danketch71 New Member

Thanks guys. My hunting buddy runs an M2, and I like how lightweight it is. I will have to fingerfu_k a SBE and shoulder it to compare.

WestKyHunt likes this.
  9. Drake91

Drake91 Elite Refuge Member

Whatever one fits you best... if I got one with the best finish I'd get a ethos I like the flat rib on my montefeltro over the raised rib of my sbe3

twodog likes this.
  10. Chance1

Chance1 Senior Refuge Member

I was a Benelli guy for years, then I bought a Franchi Affinity. Also built at the Benelli factory. The Affinity has the recoil spring in the forearm vs the butt stock. Completely changes the feel and balance of the gun. I like the Affinity much better.