Decoy Forum Sponsors

Whistlers v1

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by oleww, Jun 7, 2021.

1. oleww

oleww Elite Refuge Member

Started with Dixie Decoys as a template, ( thanks Dixie Decoys) I made me up some tree duck decoys.

I had a friend take this picture of a live bird next to one of my decoys. It’s in summer time plumage so I’ll have to verify their winter coats.

Some changes I’ll make for the next batch:

1. Darker orange Bill
    2. Head and neck changes. Thinking I might use a brant head to get a closer resembling neck and bill.
    3. Less or duller white. The white doesn’t show as much on a live bird that’s resting as what I have portrayed on this first version.
    upload_2021-6-7_11-38-44.png

Also, These are foam molded decoys so I’m doing little shaping / carving. I do need to whittle away some of that head though.

Anybody doing similar birds?

2. reddogge

reddogge Senior Refuge Member

You can repaint them easily to get the shades you want. Also, you have a resting head vs a full alert head on the live duck. Try to find some photos of that duck at rest.

WHUP ! Hen and oleww like this.
  3. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

Here's one I made out of a Herter's 72 and an Autumn Wing's Canada goose head...the gray is a Rustoleum primer, same with the brown. The black is a very flat camo black. The white is a flat white and the bill is the flat white and a semi-gloss red that I sprayed into some wax paper until I got the color I wanted.

[​IMG]

WHUP ! Hen, rhpierce, Tuleman and 4 others like this.