Decoy Forum Sponsors

Who currently has the best bang for buck floating/field goose decoys?

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by yupitsnuge, Jan 1, 2021.

1. yupitsnuge

yupitsnuge New Member

I’m in the market for goose decoys to use in a tidal marsh. We have 4 Flambeau Magnum Guide Series Field Canada Goose which are meh. The paint on them chipped off after one session and there’s nowhere to tie up the anchor line. Has anyone seen a good deal on some goose decoys?

2. IowaWaterfowler10

IowaWaterfowler10 Senior Refuge Member

Me and a friend bought 15 dozen of the SX full sized honker decoys at the start of the season after selling off the entire spread in the off season. I was really really impressed with them. The flocking and paint held up really well and we just throw them in the trailer and roll. Bases haven’t broke yet and one piece carve means no heads missing (my all time pet peeve). For the price you get individual bags, stands, and stakes and I will absolutely be buying more!!

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Where all have you looked?

4. yupitsnuge

yupitsnuge New Member

I frequently check
    Rogers
    Wingsupply
    Cabelas/BassPro
    Banded
    F&S
    Lucky Duck
    Craigslist
    Knutsen
    Scheels
    Mack’s
    Cut em down
    eBay
    Sportsman’s.

man I missing any?

5. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Rogers consistently has the best prices. My personal goto for floaters are Big Foots and Final Approach. I like the FAs because the size is manageable compared to the BFs and they have tie offs on the keels, not sure if they still make the style I have. I have hunted over and like the foam filled higdons as well

yupitsnuge likes this.
  6. noweil

noweil Elite Refuge Member

Explain to me what you are looking for. Floaters? Field decoys?

7. yupitsnuge

yupitsnuge New Member

Something like the Flambeau Magnum Guide Series Field Canada Goose which can be used for both floating and field. If there’s no others then floating.

8. noweil

I prefer floaters on water and field decoys in the field so I am a little ignorant on the dual purpose decoys. You can always buy goose shells and zip tie pipe insulation around the bottom edge of the decoy to make them float. It used to be pretty common with super mag shells years ago. You can probably do it to standard sized shells. In college I cut pine boards to fit in the bottom of my shells and put 3 screws in them to make floaters. Not my decoys in the pictures below, but shows how to make floaters out of super mag shells. file-2.jpg IMG_20140918_163906_544.jpg
    If you plan to buy new floaters, I personally like to buy decoys made in the USA. I'm tired of supporting China. My favorite goose floater is the original Big Foot, not the B2. The B2 is made in China. They are a large decoy and very durable. With flocked heads I carry them in 6 slot bags when hiking in.

The other goose floater I like is the made in USA G&H goose floater. These do not have flocked heads and I am fine with that. I been killing geese over them for over 30 years. These are not as large as Big Foot floaters and the heads remove from G&H when transporting them. I like that when I am packing decoys or trying to get as many as possible in a small boat or kayak. The bodies are probably the most durable goose decoys made. The heads are the only weak point if you are rough on them. I carry these decoys in a mesh bag when hiking in.

yupitsnuge likes this.
  9. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Prairiewind Decoys and Knutsens

10. noweil

One thing I forgot to mention is free shipping. I know Roger's and G&H offer free shipping on purchases over a certain dollar amount, including decoys. I am sure others that I am not familiar with do also. Many online retailers will only ship certain smaller or lighter items free. Shipping can be expensive on decoys.

Other places to check online:

G&H Decoys
    Dunns
    Presley's
    Midway USA