Who is playing the hunt test games?

bullpinnie

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I've thought about doing a couple hunt tests if there are any close by when I get my pup, just as a training aid more than anything. I don't really have any plans of getting him titied, but it might be fun to have a little competition in training. Have no plans of traveling anywhere for them.
Where do you live in MO?

My Club in St. Louis has training days every other weekend. They set up all levels of test scenarios. You don't have to be a member to run your dog, and there are some very knowledgeable guys that can assist with rules, or training if you want assistance.

bsktball55

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I may be reading this incorrectly and if so, my bad. You're not planning on "maybe" running a junior test "if it's close by" without training for it with a club 1st are you? Only ask because about every dog I've seen run a junior the 1st time without training for it in a similar enviornment has blown up and it's sad to watch.
No, I've already talked to my local club about joining and training with them. I was trying to say that I would use the hunt test as another training aid and to have a little fun as opposed to really being worried about winning and titling a dog in order to breed it. I'm not worry about putting letters in front of my dogs name since I really don't plan on ever breeding him, but I have no plans of putting him in a situation where he will fail especially without training for those situations first. I just felt like being able to run hunt test will help out when hunting as well.

bsktball55

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Where do you live in MO?

My Club in St. Louis has training days every other weekend. They set up all levels of test scenarios. You don't have to be a member to run your dog, and there are some very knowledgeable guys that can assist with rules, or training if you want assistance.
I live in Pevely, so about 30 miles south of the city. Which club are you in? I've messaged Gateway retriever club on Facebook and had intentions of joining this summer, but my pup got postponed until July or August so I may go to one of their training days just to watch and see what it is about.

Timber Hole

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I've thought about doing a couple hunt tests if there are any close by when I get my pup, just as a training aid more than anything. I don't really have any plans of getting him titied, but it might be fun to have a little competition in training. Have no plans of traveling anywhere for them.

I only ran the local tests and we tested thru the Seasoned level. I remember one water test where the pro trainer in front of us and the pro trainer after us both failed but me and my DIY dog passed. I was pretty damn proud. We only tested thru the seasoned level. I highly recommend getting involved with your local HRC club and at least getting your seasoned title. You will have a better dog as a result.

SRW

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score

bullpinnie

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I live in Pevely, so about 30 miles south of the city. Which club are you in? I've messaged Gateway retriever club on Facebook and had intentions of joining this summer, but my pup got postponed until July or August so I may go to one of their training days just to watch and see what it is about.
I am a member of Gateway HRC. I wasn't aware that they have a FB page,...but you should should check it out.

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
No, I've already talked to my local club about joining and training with them. I was trying to say that I would use the hunt test as another training aid and to have a little fun as opposed to really being worried about winning and titling a dog in order to breed it. I'm not worry about putting letters in front of my dogs name since I really don't plan on ever breeding him, but I have no plans of putting him in a situation where he will fail especially without training for those situations first. I just felt like being able to run hunt test will help out when hunting as well.

Since your dog's arrival has been delayed anyway, you might consider reaching out to both HRC and AKC clubs in the region and offering to gun their spring and fall trials and tests. Gives you a chance to watch things unfold from the inside without having to know a lot about the game. It sometimes even gets you a free box lunch.

bullpinnie

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Since your dog's arrival has been delayed anyway, you might consider reaching out to both HRC and AKC clubs in the region and offering to gun their spring and fall trials and tests. Gives you a chance to watch things unfold from the inside without having to know a lot about the game. It sometimes even gets you a free box lunch.
This is good advice!

St, Louis gas both Clubs Darden( AKC), and Gateway ( HRC). Probably half the gateway guys are also involved in the Darden Club. Both clubs utilize August Busch Memorial Conservation area for their training days. Both clubs train every other week, and usually the training days are set up on alternating weekends if you wanted to train every weekend.

Hunt test rules are slightly different.

cootmeurer

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Just getting back into it. Old dog, almost 13 is titled but now I have a young dog and am really looking forward to seeing her progress.

It helps when you are in a really goo
Club. Our CKHRA (Central KY) is full of good trainers/owners at all levels and really make it accessible for any one of any level.