Who to have "fit" my shotgun to me (Illinois or Missouri)?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Andrew Caldieraro, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Andrew Caldieraro

Andrew Caldieraro Refuge Member

I'm looking to meet with a gunsmith (or whoever properly fits a shotgun). I would like to be properly measured, evaluated for the proper shim, and change my recoil pad on my Winchester SX3 (mainly used for hunting ducks/geese). I realize most people just adjust this stuff to whatever feels comfortable to them. I can do that, but I'd like to be a little more precise and have it done properly. I live on the Illinois/Missouri border near St. Louis, so I'm looking for recommendations in either of these states. I don't mind driving a few hours, if needed. Any recommendations?

2. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

There at 4 around St. L.

3. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

It's been a while since I've been there, but I believe "Dunns" in Pevely, Mo can help.

I need to check on a place in Marine, Illinois as well as I didnt know there was a little gun shop there, too until recently.

I would also imagine cabelas or Bass Pro could maybe be of help....maybe.

4. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

What is going on with your gun/patterns when you are on the patterning board that makes you think you need to do this?

If you call a few high end sporting clays places they will either have a gunsmith/stockmaker that works on site or they may be able to recommend one.

Sporting clays/skeet guys tend to tweak their guns a lot more than duck hunters and a clays range is more likely to have a patterning board on site so you can immediately test any tweaks that are made.

Tuleman and riverrat47 like this.
  5. BigMike

BigMike Elite Refuge Member

I know a few guys that have used these services at various shooting events... they all swore by them.
    https://www.gunfitter.com/
    They travel all around the country and set up at different gun events.

6. mrmallerd

mrmallerd Elite Refuge Member

You might go over to Sparta during the Grand. I'm confident there will be more than one qualified to fit you.

7. Andrew Caldieraro

Andrew Caldieraro Refuge Member

I don't shoot that often, so I know that can be a concern. I usually hit around ~75/100 on a sporting clays event. I usually will get my limit of 15 doves with a box of 25 shells. However, when I go duck or goose hunting, I am lucky to get 1-2 birds per box of 25 shells. I extensively pattern my gun with many shells (a wide range of brands and shot sizes from 4's -BB's) and many chokes (factory, trulock, briley, and muller). How can I do "decent" on clays and doves and not on waterfowl? I don't have an exact answer, but here are a few possibilities....1. I'm wearing heavy clothing when waterfowl hunting and I don't with clays/doves. 2. I feel like there is excessive muzzle jump with the waterfowl loads (which is one reason why I am wanting to get fitted properly). 3. I don't feel like I have a comfortable, repeatable gun mount with the SX3 (this doesn't explain why I can "decently" hit clays/doves). 4. Waterfowl shots are often 30-40 yards and clays/doves are closer shots. 5. I really dislike the recoil pad on the SX3. It is small, uncomfortable, and I believe that may be part of the reason why I don't feel like I can't repeatably mount the gun the same way. 6. I feel like the gun kicks a lot for a gas gun. I don't feel like it is quite as much as our benelli inertia guns, but very darn close (another reason why I'm wondering if there is a gun fit issue).

8. Vahunter

Vahunter Elite Refuge Member

Do you use the same gun with waterfowl as you do with clays and dove? Are you flinching using the waterfowl load and not realize it?

spaightlabs likes this.
  9. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

It’s probably your jacket/clothing. Do you kill em during teal season?

Jeff H likes this.
  10. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

"I am lucky to get 1-2 birds per box of 25 shells."
    You're shooting at them too far out, the muzzle jump is because of the SX3 .