Whos got their Teal spots picked out?

Discussion in 'Minnesota Flyway Forum' started by wooduck26, Aug 16, 2021.

1. wooduck26

wooduck26 Elite Refuge Member

The low water might pose some challenges this year of we don't get a super soaker.... Wisconsin teal season last year....

upload_2021-8-16_11-38-0.png

2. SkolMNDuckHunter

SkolMNDuckHunter Senior Refuge Member

My early season spot that is usually money for wood ducks and geese is dry. Gonna be tough. Probably going to sit in the tree stand alot more this year.

TNSnowman likes this.
  3. Zehyani

Zehyani Senior Refuge Member

I don't plan to do the early teal season. the mosquitos in the reeds are almost as big as the teal anyway. Hopefully will see some on season opener. A lot of spots seem really dry, so not sure yet where we will go.

Neighbor Guy likes this.
  4. Paul Myrdahl

Paul Myrdahl Senior Refuge Member

I have a few spots in mind. Haven't made the final decision yet. Dry as bone around the grand rapids area.

5. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Elite Refuge Member

I won’t be participating in teal season. I hope it’s a total flop and failure.

If we get some chopping done at the farm I may run some early goose season instead.

I have zero interest in the teal season.

In speaking with people at game fair I am not alone. Most seem to think there will be way more than teal killed.

Even if I did want to hunt it, most of my small water/early season holes are bone dry.

6. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I've never killed a teal in teal season.
    Tore up on sawbills thinking they were teal once .what a let down.

7. megasupermagnum

megasupermagnum Senior Refuge Member

Last Sunday-Tuesday I was around Hutchinson for a funeral. Drove back to Aberdeen Wednesday. Saturday I drove to Bemidji to set bait for bears, went to the Enduro in Akeley Sunday. Not a lot of ducks in MN. There's a billion and a half in South Dakota. I'm seeing a lot more sandhill crane this year in both states. I didn't get a close enough look to see exactly what kind of ducks they were in MN, lots of teal of course, but also a lot of mallard. I'm not seeing as many wood ducks as I like to see. The water isn't that low. It's lower than it has been the last 5+ years of monsoon of course, but it is not like everything is bone dry. The fields aren't flooded, which should be a good thing for hunters. The ducks can't hide. The ponds, sloughs, and lakes are lower, but all still plenty of water in them.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  8. SkolMNDuckHunter

Unfortunately that's not the case on the farm pond I do really well on for geese early on. It's usually a very popular loafing pond for geese and good for wood ducks at first light. Typically it's over my waders and I need the dog. Currently, it is pretty much mud with dead lily pads sticking up. There's a little puddle out in the middle, and virtually no birds.
    I'll have to battle it out with guys on the lakes in the area or just sit in the tree more this year. Oh well, it's still hunting and I love it all.

I asked the farmer the last time he had ever seen the water that low, and he said the day before they dug it in ~1980.

9. megasupermagnum

megasupermagnum Senior Refuge Member

Interesting. Are you more in the N, S, E, or W part of the state? We have a slough and a river that runs through the family farm near Alexandria, MN. In the middle of the property is a pond, which is essentially where the river gets wide for a moment. The big slough is down, but not like I've seen it in the past. I'm younger than most, and I've definitely seen it lower. I want to say 2008-2009ish I saw it lower. On a fairly normal year, the big slough is maybe 3' deep. The last few years it's been closer to 6'. This year it is like 1 1/2' to 2' deep. I've seen it before where there was no water at the cattails, and the deepest it got was only maybe 1'. The same with the river, it is down, but not that down. The pond is 1/2 dried up, but it never amounted to much anyway.

I asked my dad about this, and he says this is pretty normal every 10-15 years. He remembered 1988 specifically, and said he could drive around the shores of most lakes it was so dry. He says this year is nothing compared to that.

10. SkolMNDuckHunter

East Central, North of the metro. The rivers are also very low. You can walk along wide gravel bars in areas that are typically always under water.

Neighbor Guy likes this.