Whos got their Teal spots picked out?

Discussion in 'Minnesota Flyway Forum' started by wooduck26, Aug 16, 2021.

1. megasupermagnum

megasupermagnum Senior Refuge Member

I was in Mora not too long ago, racing the Mora Enduro. That was the driest anyone could remember it. I don't think I rode through even a puddle, and that race is known for being 99% swamp. I won't give specifics online, I'll just say if you are looking to get into teal, look west.

2. SkolMNDuckHunter

SkolMNDuckHunter Senior Refuge Member

3. wooduck26

wooduck26 Elite Refuge Member

This drought is way overdue if you ask me. Our wetlands have been too wet for too long. This dry out has thing recharged, and duck food is growing again, just add a foot of water, and the ducks will find it!

4. woodiefanatic

woodiefanatic Elite Refuge Member

Lots of really good looking vegetables for the ducks this year. Rice is looking excellent. Cycles are good. Wet and dry.

5. megasupermagnum

I think we just need to keep things in perspective. A quick look at Drought.gov shows a MN history, and 2010-2020 were all exceptionally wet years overall. It looks like 2007 was the year I was thinking of, it was definitely drier than it is this year. 1988 shows up as a real bad year, but it looks like 1982 was probably the worst in the last 50 years. 2021 doesn't even compare yet.

It is dry, but this is not the end times. It was drier than this not that long ago.

6. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

I will never understand this mentality. Are you a duck hunter? What's wrong with taking advantage of something that will have absolutely no effect on the overall resource and gives you more days to enjoy what you supposedly enjoy?

Bullet21XD and snowgooseman like this.
  7. Paul Myrdahl

Paul Myrdahl Senior Refuge Member

Over the state is not the the driest but particular spots with in the state are extremely dry. We haven't had but one decent rain at cabin south of Grand rapids since end of may. That's about 2 month with what I'm guessing to be 1" of rain total if lucky. No apples on the apple trees. No acorns. No berries. Extremely dry. The last 3 weeks there has been good rain to north and to the south of our place but basically nothing where the cabin is. Dry dry dry. The roadside ditches that usually hold some sort of water are dry. We are in bog swamp country and there is no water. Don't ever remember in 40 years of going up there any year where the ditches were completely dry. Can't see the water level in the river because the rice crop is thick. I'm guessing inches instead of feet of water. Haven't been to the lake. Dad say lots of rice. More than last year and last year was a great crop. I'm guessing the lake has a couple inches of water over loon ****. Find out this weekend. Dad thinks it's just loon ****.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  8. Paul Myrdahl

Paul Myrdahl Senior Refuge Member

I'm guessing he's a goose hunter and upset because us guys out teal hunting will be spooking geese off the roosts. Just guessing though.

9. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Elite Refuge Member

Where and how I kill geese will not be effected by the teal season. As it’s not as much hunting as killing. The roost areas here are refuges.

I prefer to hunt ducks.

As far as questioning me as a duck hunter. More than most. I live it year round. Feel free to question it, I know where I stand.

We are all welcome to our opinions, right or wrong. I am pretty strong in mine.

By my daily observations the birds are all still brown. Young if the year mallards and woodducks are still slightly smaller than adult teal.

The majority of MN duck hunters have a difficult time identifying birds in hand let alone in flight. A lot of inexperienced hunters are going to kill a lot of cattail birds.

Early Teal Season in MN is a bad idea. It works to the south because they don’t raise ducks. They rely on a migration of ducks. The reason teal seasons work to the south is because they are the only birds there at the time. That’s not the case here.

jrp267 and KENNEDY63 like this.
  10. megasupermagnum

So the guys in Wisconsin are smarter than you MN hunters? They have a teal season. How about Nebraska? Michigan has a season. Iowa has a season. I honestly have no idea why ND or SD don't have a teal season. As far as I can tell, there are 27-28 states in the USA that have a dedicated teal season now, and only half of them are what I consider southern states.

It has been a great success in every other state. I have confidence MN will do just fine.

GK1 likes this.