Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Why are most all decoys made in China?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by JP, Jul 5, 2020.

1. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Because we buy them?

Was Pogo right?

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Price is the first thing people look at. Sometimes, the only thing.

3. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Because the companies that sell decoys get higher profits by using underpaid workers and less quality materials. Make the decoy great looking(to humans) and it drives up the price along with the gotta have the newest/best looking decoy mentality.

lugnut, riverrat47, Fowler267 and 7 others like this.
  4. THEIRCOMMITED10

THEIRCOMMITED10 |Moderator Fishing|Call Sponsor| Sponsor Moderator

The only decoy made in China in my spread is a spinner . I haven’t found one made in America unless it’s homemade . If I’ve overlooked a company out there let me know ? And it’s 50/50 whether I use a spinner anymore period .

I search out made in USA products to support this country I feel good about that at the end of the day maybe it’s just me . I want Americans to succeed and prosper if it creates more jobs and more American revenue I want that . It’s very possible to buy USA decoys .. but I’m afraid most Americans could give a rats as about it , in the “I’ll get mine screw you” mentality many share unfortunately . Guess that’s the beauty of American freedom two ways to look at it I suppose

5. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

$ .75 cents per hour vs. $ 18.50 per hour.

6. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

Cheap labor! Cheap plastic ABS resins.

7. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Because most duck hunters don't want to pay more for less. They like a bunch of body and head positions in every dozen. They like each species to actual shape of that species. They like detailed paint schemes, and they like paying less. Whether or not it matters to ducks is irrelevant.

Molds and labor are WAY more expensive here, and the only other significant cost in decoys is oil. If GHG decided to make every decoy they produce here you'd see Dave Smith prices. I remember folks asking, "why doesn't G&H just make more molds and have a better paint scheme?" The answer is because people wouldn't pay that price.

Curt Gibson, tcc and JJVizinat like this.
  8. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I really have no idea how unskilled labor prices compare here to China (or other undeveloped countries that we outsource labor to)...

But with more technical skills, it is not so much the wages that make it desirable to outsource:

• No healthcare costs
    • No overtime
    • No unemployment insurance
    • No Social Security payments (employer pays half in the U.S.)
    • No HR issues, and far less time and money spent on HR staffing and training.
    • No retirement
    • No discrimination issues
    • More often than not, the labor or "job" is paid for, and not the hours.
    • No union issues

We figure at our office if we pay someone $14 per hour, that staff actually costs us closer to $26 per hour to employ. If we hired someone in China (or India) at $15 per hour, it costs us $15 per hour. If the work is not completed as promised (or completed incorrectly), we do NOT pay... If the work is not completed, or completed incorrectly by staff in my office I still pay; and because I need the work done, I often pay overtime. (We outsourced billing for some time before switching computer programs)

My wife previously worked for a construction company, and they outsourced much of the engineering and detail engineering (to save money)... When I asked my wife how much quality (in work) was lost due to this outsourcing she replied: "None, they are generally more accurate, and faster in their calculations."

So I would also argue that we have "work-ethic" issues here in the states, and that there is unfortunately a lower work ethic due to the "entitlement" attitude that employees have to earn high wages without necessarily preforming compensatory work for those wages.

9. Quarne

Quarne Elite Refuge Member

^ unfortunately I think Marc hit the nail on the head with that post.

10. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

18.50? Can’t live on that any more. I ain’t gettin out of bed for less than $25/hr

Ducker 4 Ever, Rebranger and Drake91 like this.