Why are there so many Christian denominations and only one Bible?

bwurts

Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very curious as to your thoughts - are there multiple interpretations? and if so - how do you know which one is correct? why is one "better than another?"

byf41

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
The first time you see the devil in the bible is Genesis chapter 3, guess what he's doing. He' s trying to get Eve to disobey God by confusing her on what he said.
That's why there a 101 religions and 1 God. That's why he keeps coming out with new versions of the bible.
The new bibles are all being changed, the best one is the 1611 AV or better known as the King James.

molliesmaster

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I think that's a great question!

There are 100 ways to build a boat, but the end goal is still to have a craft that rides on top of the water without water getting in. And the inherent problem with metaphors is that if you press them too hard they fall apart. I am not saying that all religions are genuine and true. What I am saying is that there is a central belief in Christianity, that is that Jesus died for your sins and the only way to heaven is through grace by faith in Him. After that things can and do deviate, what type of worship music, how you worship, etc. To be honest, I'm not sure how the rabbit hole got started either. But that is where I go back to my boat analogy. People are different and, in saying that, we recognize that not everyone will worship God in the same way. Again, you can take that too far to read that you can worship God in any way you choose. I'm not really saying that either. What I would invite you to do is to read the Bible and to find a church, regardless of denomination, that uses/teaches from the Bible as its standard of practice.

And to clarify another point, the Bible is not being changed. Yes, there are multiple translations of the Bible out now. But the Bible has not changed. It is the most tested and vetted book in the world. Historians devote their entire life's work to materials that have less credible sources than the Bible. History books are filled with "facts" that have less substantial evidence supporting them. If you are curious to learn more about just how vetted the Bible is there are several books I can recommend.

bwurts

Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
molliesmaster - appreciate the response - have you read the book " "The Four Witnesses" this has given me a lot of insight

Woodduck31

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
The number of denominations has nothing to do with interpreting God's Word. It has to do with arrogance, pride, selfishness, personal agenda and sin. Very few people actually read the Bible to any extent, but depend on a church leader, preacher, teacher to tell them what it says. Sadly some of those men think appearing Godly is a means to gain worldly things and personal significance.

We english speaking people have the arrogance to believe a version of the Bible in english is more valid than one in another language. What if your language is not english and there aren't any of those "thee and thou" phrases? I have a Greek New Testament from my college days it was written in the common language of the first century, but not very practical unless it's in the language you understand. I have classmate from college who worked for many years with Pioneer Bible Translators in their quest to translate Bibles into the 2000 languages that still have yet to read a Bible in their own language.

The Bible is not complicated when it's translated into the common language of the people reading it. We have the written Word of God available to us common folk, yet we are willing to allow others to tell us their "version" of what it says.

When I get up in the morning while everything is still quiet and without distraction I can read God's Word. It's all pretty familiar territory by this stage of my life, but somehow God's Word is still living and I still have those moments of clearer understanding. It's God speaking to me, God who is truth and not a man who has flaws or an agenda telling me what I should think. The best version is the one you will read.

There are so many denominations because most don't read the "version" they have on the night stand or end table. We can argue which version is better than another and never in our lifetime let God speak to us through that Word. Denominations are like divorce, not part of God's Will, but because of man's hardness of heart.

bwurts

Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Woodduck - interesting points - how would one determine who is interpreting God's word correctly or is it " to each their own" again great points

Woodduck31

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand "who is interpreting", maybe just reading to understand, unless it's interpreting from one language to another. I guess maybe words such as baptism were never translated, they were "interpreted" to mean something other than what the greeks would have understood in the first century. Using simple hermeneutical rules, such as who wrote it, when, to whom and what was the original readers understanding at the time it was written. Man seems to like to change the rules, form a version of religion that suits their personal likes or dislikes. The Good News of Christ is simple for someone who approaches God's Word honestly without preconceived notions or biases. God speaks to us through His Word and revealed Himself through His Son.

bwurts

Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I mean by "who is interpreting" is that if the Bible was interpreted all the same by everyone would there really be a need for so many denominations? IMO - and just my opinion - many seem to interpret it to their liking not as it is intended - You, Woodduck, seem to take into consideration the time, customs ie Jewish traditions - in both the New and Old testament
“The New Testament is concealed in the Old, and the Old Testament is revealed
in the New.” – St. Augustine

thanks for the insight - truly appreciated