Why doesn't anyone make a outboard motor with a radiator,

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by callinfowl, Dec 22, 2010.

1. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

like water cooled bikes ?

2. Dirt_Bag

Dirt_Bag Banned

:doh Weight of system...And why. Running raw water is cooler. If these motors were in bikes, They would go boom fast:doh

3. Pepperjack

Pepperjack Elite Refuge Member

Who would want one?:confused:

Pepper

4. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

I have always wondered myself? It would be better than a short tail mudmotor.

5. smitytv

smitytv Senior Refuge Member

when its cold it would definately be an advantage? no frozen/cracked lower units? I ask this without complete knowledge but thats what comes to mind:scratch

6. avianelimanator

avianelimanator Elite Refuge Member

How would you get air across the cooling fins to remove the heat from the radiator:scratch why would you want to add something to the system that you don't really need. the thought behind the water cooled motor is to use what is already there. air cooled motors are louder and less effiecent. if cars were running somewhere they could get away with out radiators they would be calling them Bugs or corvairs:nutz

7. JLA

JLA Elite Refuge Member

The cooling system has nothing to do with bad seals on a lower unit (gearbox) allowing water to enter and then freezing and destroying the casting when temps are cold enough. The water pump is outside the sealed portion of the gearbox. Even when the drive shaft seals failed and the designs of some allow the pumped water to be forced into the gearbox, root cause is still a bad seal.

8. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

Run your boat through some thick vegetation and mud and salt water for a while and you'll understand why !:doh

The weight of a air cooled Radiator would be less then 10 lbs, for instance check out the radiators used on small car these days that maybe hold a gallon and a half of water and empty weigh about 6 lbs. they could use a small electric cooling fan for idle and low speed cooling and a forced air cowling could direct air flow over the radiator for mid to high speed running. So say it's 12 extra pounds...........that's nothing compaired to the weight of these under powered mud motors.

I have a mud boat ,they are awesome for the mud and in the veggies. But they suck on long runs and running speeds really suck.

I much rather run my deep water boat in the skinny water ,but every time I do I suck up mud or plant matter . A jack plate and a air cooled outboard would fill both needs.:yes
    A hydolic jack plate and a chopper prop would be awesome in the weeds and in the muck on a 50hp to 90 hp motor !

9. Bull-sprig

Bull-sprig Elite Refuge Member

Arkansas on Village Creek the new Hurricane
    One of the reasons you can run an outboard at wfo for long periods of time is the constant supply of fresh water.

10. KILLDUX

KILLDUX Senior Refuge Member

Use to see a advertisement in Northern Tools for a small 2 cylinder diesel made by briggs and stratton with a radiator and it had a elctric water pump i beleive. Don't remember what the weight of it was. Seemed like a idea though.