Why shoot "sub-gauges?"

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Fogie, Jan 5, 2022.

1. Larry Welch

Larry Welch Senior Refuge Member

Started with the 20 after second neck surgery. I still use a 12 on occasion but only on big water.

2. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I'll try.
    Anecdotally I myself can tell a ten gauge apart from a twelve in the field if wind is right.
    It thumps a lil more bigger ;)

Not all the noise you hear from a shotgun blast is the gunpowder blast. There is also a sonic boom made by the projectile(s).
    Compare firing a 1 ounce deer slug to a 1 ounce dove load.
    Listen I mean. Deer slug will be louder.
    Now if some sound is from the sonic boom it would follow that a smaller projectile or mass of them would make a smaller boom.
    Less powder...less boom as well.
    Of course a 410 is quiet compared to a ten gauge.
    :doh

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  3. C M Wings

C M Wings Senior Refuge Member

Bang zoom. It’ll work great.

brogers likes this.
  4. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

I'm wit' him. Do your part and those little 6s will hit them like grenades, only rub being the likelihood of more shot staying in the birds than with larger sizes.

5. Northhunter

Northhunter Senior Refuge Member

Used to have a gent that would go in and hunt a pond not far from us. I can't confirm, but he must have shot a 10. Sounded like a cannon in comparison.
    Wind and terrain affect sound a great deal. There are groups that hunt a channel a couple miles away. Shots from the same place will sound drastically different, depending on which blind they are coming from and which way the barrels are pointed when they are taken.

Tuleman likes this.
  6. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

I have strived to duplicate that same load but at 1450 fps.....works Great !

7. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Not a shot fired, didn't see a single duck in the air. Watched flocks of scaup on either side of me and a small flock of cans taunt me swimming about 80 yards out. Still a great day, took my pointing lab with me and she kept finding snipe all over. (She's in no way a duck dog because she can't sit still) would have shot some but I didn't bring the steel 7s.

Still a great day I won't soon forget.

8. WindInHisHair

WindInHisHair Elite Refuge Member

Like being deaf at a Florida Georgia Line concert?

S.davis, JP, Fogie and 1 other person like this.
  9. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Yesterday morning, a pair sailed into the decoys and my gunning mate unleashed both barrels of his 12 gauge Cynergy only to see the drake’s departure flight materialize. Thought what the heck as I had stoked the 20 gauge SXS with some factory Federal 2 3/4” steel in 3/4 ounce of #6’s. Yes, the bird folded immediately and while not sure of the exact yardage at the shot, it was lying on the pasture ground at ~52 yards. His head/neck had multiple pin hole wounds, typical of a CNS kill. Later that morning a large race Canada was wadded up with a load of HTL at ~45 yards. The MOD tube was the one employed in both instances out of the Beretta 20 gauge SXS.

There are a few shotguns that come into your hands during a lifetime that you should never let get away. This (for me) is one of them as I already have a couple of regrets for previous shotguns that I let get away.

Billy Bob, dog duck gun and freefall like this.
  10. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Im gaining more and more confidence in the hevi bismuth 6s on each diver hunt. I made 3 clean kills outside of 35 yards with 4 shots. None were CNS kills. Broken wings and bones too. Got the third bird on the second shot going away. The rest of the kills were chip shots over the decoys. My friends were really impressed that I succeeded in hanging with the big guns.

One of them was shooting my 1100 16ga with nitro steel 1300fps 4s and couldn't believe what they could do. They love the no recoil part too. He his buddy were talking about getting 16s after the hunt. Their comment was "kills them like a 12 with no kick."

JP, twodog and Drake91 like this.