Why the algae this year?

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by jzoo, Dec 15, 2019.

1. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

I have a 20 acre pond that we flood (8-10" deep) via well during hunting season but is dry most of the summer. There's always a healthy stand of barnyard grass but I always spray a couple acre kill hole in front of the pits. For some reason this entire duck season the bottom was COVERED in moss/algae and would make it's way to the surface at times. Decoys and decoy lines were an absolute nightmare. We have never had this issue before.

We had a nearby creek come out of it's banks and flood us (flowing water) for about 3 weeks in March. Could that have brought something in that caused it?

I think I see a ton of copper sulfate in my future.

2. Swampfoot

Swampfoot Senior Refuge Member

Seems like algae/miss is nutrient dependant. If the creek flood is the only thing different I would guess it's related.

jzoo likes this.
  3. Eyes2Sky

Eyes2Sky Refuge Member

Seems like we always have more on years with warmer than average temperatures, but that’s just an observation

stevena198301 and jzoo like this.
  4. bbfky

bbfky Elite Refuge Member

Have you had a warm winter? We were 72 on Xmas and 64 3 days ago just got our first cold weather I checked my pool this past weekend and it looks like a green swamp usually it doesn't turn that way unless I open it in the middle of April. Warm weather can have an impact
    If it was run off from the creek I would have thought you would have seen a bloom during the summer

5. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

We pumped it dry about a month after the flood so we could fix the pits and everything. We pumped it full in September then it started blooming within a week of having water on it.
    Season is over so we pulled the plug and it's empty now.