Why Throw Sea Ducks in the Trash?

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by John Singer, Jan 5, 2022.

1. HONKEREXTREME

HONKEREXTREME Senior Refuge Member

I had a seal eat an old squaw and a brant before we could retrieve them on an east coast hunt. Not cool. Lol

John Singer likes this.
  2. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

3. John Singer

John Singer Senior Refuge Member

4. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Mallards in my area are generally good birds, and rank fairly high up as table fair for birds I shoot in the grasslands... They are consistently better birds than widgeon (which may, or may not be so great, but are never terrible).

I have hunted other areas where mallards are less than great... I understand that there are some areas where they probably are not so great... But to be clear, your experience with such poor eathing mallards is not the norm...

I cannot speak to scoters... Have not shot one, and have not eaten one. I did shoot a couple of goldeneye, and after (attempting) to eat the second one, there will NOT be a third. I made the assumption (perhaps incorrectly) that scoter would be as bad or worse than goldeneye. I actually cancelled a diver hunt I had booked after eating the second goldeneye, cause I did not want to kill a bunch of birds I would not eat, and could not give away (for human consumption).

Granted, I breasted and cooked them the same way I cook breasted puddle ducks. I thought the first goldeneye was rancid... Figured out that is just how they taste after (attempting) to eat the second one...

5. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Federally, I do not believe you are required to consume or even clean the bird before disposing of it... Some state laws do require such, and I believe there are some states that consider even breasting a bird to be wanton waste (but I could be wrong on that).

I know of some people that use sea ducks to process and make into dog/cat food. I know/knew of a cat shelter that would use birds for for food (as long as it was not shot by lead). I know this because we were doing deprivation hunts on pigeons, and the cat shelter was excited to take our birds, until they found at that the birds were being shot with lead... At the time, they did mention that they would take any of the ducks we wanted to given them (for the cats).

I have no issue gifting birds to churches or other charitable organizations that are feeding or gifting people in need... I just feel that after attempting to cook and eat a few scoters that they would probably get thrown out...

Canvasback, redhead, ringneck, and ruddy ducks are my list of divers that I will gladly eat... The rest of the divers (and sea ducks) get a hard pass, cause I have no idea out to cook them and make them palatable... Ringneck and especially ruddy ducks are very under-rated table fair...

creedsduckman likes this.
  6. Fogie

Fogie Elite Refuge Member

In my experience, any bird that gets the mallet, her breadcrumb/spices and gravy?...all good, including mergs, all divers and that scoter. The scoter peeled very easily and surprisingly vs divers and looked just like a widgeon breast in color and size. Would shoot another but considering it was the first in nearly 40, probably not likely. Had a cool nose...

7. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

On my first trip to Canada I killed a nice drake goldeneye on the last day. I had killed a hen here before but that was the first drake I had ever seen. We cleaned a bunch of ducks we killed to cook for dinner that night, mallards and wigeon and that one eye. Couple of the guys gave me grief about throwing it in with the other ducks. I told them they'd never know it was in there. Well later that night we were hanging out in the hotel bar shooting pool and celebrating the end of a great trip. A couple of the guys celebrated pretty hard and one guy, my roommate, celebrated REALLY REALLY hard. Well I think before he hit the bed he was puking and all morning until we got to the airport he was still puking. Well lucky me had to sit next to him on the flights home but thankfully he was done puking at least. The whole time he kept blaming it on eating that goldeneye and somehow not the Jack Daniels that he drank the bar out of the night before.

Squaller likes this.
  8. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Goldeneye are bottom of the barrel, (smell like a bathroom after eating taco bell) worse than gadwall (taste like its bloodshot and full of rust)and oldsquaw (tastes like a mud filled mussel) even worse than mallards. (smell like a gut pile and taste worse than the black swamp mud)

9. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

speaking of cats, we found out pretty quickly that if you drop any ducks or geese around your truck, trailer, etc and walk away for a period of time to BS in my buddies shop on his farm and return the dam cats will quickly breast out your birds. it has happened enough that everyone should no by now but some folks forget until they walk leave some birds out and return 10 to 30 minutes later and are like *** has just chewed up my bird or birds. those barn cats are opportunist to get a meal.

rhpierce likes this.
  10. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

Someone on a different site posted up a picture of two limits or more of mallards that got thrown into a ditch here in Arkansas a couple weeks back. They weren't breasted and tossed, either...belly up and perfectly fine.

Made me so mad I could spit. I hate they do it with ANY ducks at all, and I've seen the roads outside of Stuttgart headed back to Pine Bluff and Little Rock with shovelers and snow geese tossed out every so often like someone in the back of the truck was getting rid of the "trash ducks" and "sky carp" on the way home.

That's why I don't shoot buffies or goldeneyes anymore unless I need a study bird or someone wants one for a mount.

creedsduckman likes this.