Why we can't get anything done this country.

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by Mrs.10GAGENUT, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Mrs.10GAGENUT

Mrs.10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

A bit of a rant from an old white guy.
    The Department of Health and Humans services was struck down by a Federal Court Judge who ruled in favor of AMGEN, Merck and several other pharmaceutical companies on a new requirement they have to post prices on drugs they advertised.
    The Judge an Obama appointee ruled in favor of the Pharma companies saying it was unfair and not required of them to list prices for prescription drugs.
    IMO companies like AMGEN don't want to advertise the fact that drugs the advertise like Repatha cost almost $15,000 per year for treatment or Nuelasta can cost up to $20,000 for one treatment.
    How are we supposed to get anything done in this country when we have examples like this of blatant favoritism toward Pharma companies and IMO no regard for consumer protection from the Left.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/08/health/drug-prices-tv-ads-trump.html

widgeon and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  2. hartfish

hartfish Elite Refuge Member

You want the government to do your homework for you and protect you from your own ignorance and laziness? How liberal of you.

Should the govt force car companies to post the price of a car? How about the cost of a gallon of milk?

I'm betting if the judge was a Trump appointee, you would be telling us how the court got it right.

Since Googling is apparently too hard, I'll do it for you...

https://familywize.org/prescription/repatha

[​IMG]
    $1,188.23

Attached Files:

pointblind likes this.
  3. Mrs.10GAGENUT

Mrs.10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I'm not going to argue with you since it's pointless and you think you know everything anyway.
    The part you can't Google until you ask is most insurance companies won't cover Repatha treatments as it hasn't been tested enough to prove it actually works but they are advertising it and the doctors are pushing it. The other part you'll never be told is Nuelasta which is a time released version of Nupagin used to increase while blood cell count is only affective in 50 -60% of patients, IMO once people found out if their insurance wouldn't cover the co-pay or cover a drug at all and knew how much they cost they would ask a lot more questions. But what do I know I'm just a stupid old white guy.

widgeon, OneShotBandit and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  4. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

I see your point but pharmaceuticals are different than consumer goods like milk and automobiles. And car companies do advertise prices as well as breakdowns of monthly leasing options.

I still don’t understand why they advertise pharmaceutical drugs on TV. Seems inefficient in the digital age. It’s not like you can see a spot for Novaritus and then say to your wife - Honey, tomorrow I’m going to go down to CVS and get me a bottle of Novaritus. I like that commercial -
    I’ve always like Cindy Laupers music, and so I want to try it even though my skin is fine...

widgeon likes this.
  5. slimm21

slimm21 Elite Refuge Member

You got half of it right. Liberal politicians don't care about consumer protection. The other half is that conservative politicians don't either.

6. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator

”Consumer protection” is another one of those nice sounding programs that in reality mostly contributes to billable hours for lawyers.

pointblind, KENNEDY63, Bear and 2 others like this.
  7. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

I have a problem when people can go across both borders and buy the same drugs much cheaper than we can. I have no problem with the gov stepping in and doing something about it.

8. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

Lobbyist and the all mighty dollar drive a lot of what goes on and drives our politicians, judges, etc to make many of the decisions which to a lot of us including me wonder how and why they came to the decision they did. With some of the irrational decisions how could one not wonder if some of these folks are not financially influenced and or bribed? How do so many of our politicians become so rich in office?

Mrs.10GAGENUT and widgeon like this.
  9. slimm21

slimm21 Elite Refuge Member

Consumer protection is needed because companies like Monsanto, among many others will do anything possible to increase profits with no regard for anything else.

If Big Business had any intention of doing things honestly without blatant disregard for actual people, consumer protection would not be needed.

Consumer protecting includes things like rides at amusement parks, airbag safety, safety checks on airplanes, ect....

10. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator

As noted 'Consumer protection" is a well exploited source of billable hours. Whatever protections that happen are at a cost. Too, by utilizing goods and services, the consumer does make a choice and assumes risk when they select and purchase.

Specific individuals may enjoy compensation from time to time, while in the overall scheme rather than paying the Monsantos of the world for products, in the net case we are paying lawyers. Rest assured that those producer risk costs are factored into products marketed.

As far as liabilities goes... manufacturers of consumer products certainly have responsibilities, just as consumers have a personal accountability to be circumspect and make wise decisions.

IMHO, "Consumer protection" seems more like having government infrastructure tasked with wiping our butts for us.