Why

Discussion in 'New York Flyway Forum' started by 1bigduck, Dec 1, 2019.

1. 1bigduck

1bigduck Senior Refuge Member

Why is there such a huge difference in the Southeast goose zones? Hudson Valley zone has only a 30 day season and 2 bird limit but the South zone east and west of the HV zone has a 75 day season and 5 bird limit? Not sure about everyone else but we're loaded with geese right now.

Jay Mo 37 likes this.
  2. TheCanMan

TheCanMan Senior Refuge Member

I can’t understand why they do that, and it’s pretty frustrating. I hunt a spot right on the border but only have access on the limited side. Loaded with Geese, had to wait ... the season just opened again, but now we’re frozen out. They cut out a tight strip with the zone but it impacts me significantly.

3. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

4. TheCanMan

I think we all understand the difference, but I do not think that small narrow strip makes any difference. I’ve been watching the same population of geese for a very long time in the restricted zone. Granted I am close to the border, but they tagged a pretty tight area.

5. TheCanMan

6. Jay Mo 37

Jay Mo 37 Refuge Member

That’s a good explanation by the DEC and I agree with it. But IMO, here on Long Island the NAP (high harvest) should be moved further west. Where the boundary is there is a lot of geese. If moved further west it would be in a area that would make more sense in their explanation.

7. 1bigduck

I still find it difficult to believe their surveys are good enough to put a narrow strip like the Hudson valley zone in the middle of it all. And to have a 30 day season compared to a 75 day season and 2 bird versus a 5 bird limit.

TheCanMan likes this.
  8. 1bigduck

Most of the eastern part of the South zone is un-huntable anyways, Rockland and Westchester Counties.

Jay Mo 37 likes this.
  9. Soggy Socks

Soggy Socks Senior Refuge Member

Well let's hope the more restrictive seasons and limits aren't forever as they say. I'm not seeing a decline in numbers , plus they do fly south into 5 bird limit and longer season areas.

Jay Mo 37 and TheCanMan like this.