Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Wide Mouth Decoy Bags

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Pot Hole, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Pot Hole

Pot Hole Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

How well does it carry on your back? Typically, I only tote in 12-18 decoys, but I need a bag that sits up high on my back which makes it easier to carry.

2. Buckmark311

Buckmark311 Senior Refuge Member

it doesn't tote on your back. its meant to be carried by 2 ppl with the side handles. I JUST made the switch to texas rigs and got the heavy hauler bag. hunted it 3x this season and already am not using the bag. its miserable. the lines get tangled and just creates a huge mess. The bags are only good if you are wrapping the keels, and if you are doing that you may as well go with the slotted ones.

Now im just using a carribeaner to loop around my blind and clip to the group of lines. MUCH easier.

I have seen some decoy bags that allow the carribeaner and line to be pulled through a hole so the bag just covers the decoys, but not really sure what that is accomplishing.

3. Pot Hole

BM311, I just about bought that bag you have thinking it would be good Texas rig bag for keeping in the boat. Your comments tells me I'm glad I didn't. I did, however, order the mesh version of the same Heavy Hauler bag that includes shoulder straps. We'll see how well it serves its purpose. It wasn't as expensive as the nylon bag, so if it doesn't work as a pack-in bag, I'll use it for something else.

I also ordered a Rig'em Right wide mouth, stand-up bag to try out. It has shoulder straps, but I won't know how well it travels on my back until it gets here. If I don't like either one, may just go back to the Drake bag, which I know packs in well.

4. Buckmark311

Buckmark311 Senior Refuge Member

^if you are looking for a bag to shoulder carry, I think banded makes one that holds 2 dozen dekes, Mojo(s) and gun. its a legit backpack. would be ideal for your walk in situations.

Ringbill likes this.
  5. Pot Hole

They do, but I'm not sure if the top opening will accommodate loading and unloading a dozen or so Texas rigs very easily without a lot of hassle.

6. Pot Hole

I bought one of the Rig'em right gunslinger bags to try out. Nice bag, seems well made, but will struggle to carry 18 or more decoys. Haven't used it in the field yet, so I will wait to pass judgement.

My Heavy Hauler mesh bag should be here by the end of the week and I'll update when I get it.

7. Pot Hole

Bag came today. Not impressed with functionality for the price. Smaller than I expected and the wide opening is nothing more than a flexible band you slide into the rim of the bag. Ultimately, this bag is really not much more than a typical mesh bag of similar size.

8. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

It helps to make your line lengths slightly off, by about 1 decoy length. That way when you put say 8 together, you have 4 that hang at bottom, then 4 more hang just above them-- now they all slide into bag much better.

BTW, I carry a military A4 bag with backpack straps on it as my blind carry in, works great. Blind material at bottom, then 6 teal decoys on a jerk rig all wrapped around a 14" handle/cord storage (decoys hang on loops off bottom when wrapped). Then 6-8 offset decoys as described, and let the carabiner/lines hang out top. I still have room in there to put an entire bucket seat with all the rest of my gear, or a mojo, and a couple mud poles and mojo poles. Sling it over my back and walk into marsh.

If you offset the texas rigged decoys you don't need a wide-mouth bag to just lower them in as they nestle in groups of 4 like grapes then.

Ringbill likes this.
  9. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA. Moderator

Use one of these , http://www.acehardware.com/product/..._clickid=e7177bca-9347-412b-a03d-008e3a0666d5
    and put it in a mesh decoy bag so you can close off the top and still use the shoulder straps if need be. A few stitches of heavy waxed line around the top edge will hold the mesh decoy bag in place so you're not fumbling with it all the time.
    A closed top decoy bag may save your *** some day if the boat ever gets swamped.
    They are a good thing to grab onto in an emergency situation.:tu
    Don't ask me how I know about this !:eek::z

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  10. Pot Hole

Coincidentally, there is actually a better version of that bag out there. A similar bag is sold at Home Depot, but it has handles that make carrying easier. I actually posted it in the NC forum over a year ago and many of the boys that routinely hunt the coast use them for in-boat decoy storage. Only reason I haven't given it more thought for my Texas rigs is the lack of a draw string at the top to hold the decoys in and shoulder straps. Inserting a mesh bag would fix the draw string issue, but dang I hate how mesh bags catch on decoys when you are loading and unloading.