Wild roosters in good habitat

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by Fowl Hunter, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Fowl Hunter

Fowl Hunter Elite Refuge Member

I enjoy the challenge. Pen raised don't do anything for me.

So, what general areas had good wild bird hunting last season? Reports from the 'net, eastern Montana had some areas of good hatches. Kansas had some good hunting.

The Clearwater area in Northern Idaho had been outstanding through 2016. All dry land farming, the problem there is that May and June have been too wet and cold, chicks don't make it. Habitat was in great shape last fall but no pheasants, or quail or huns. Killed a few chukars.

Won't get hatch reports until Sept. Plan on heading somewhere.

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

I usually go a couple times a year and visit a good friend. He has lots of rancher contacts, and we hunt creek bottoms and side hills. Hard work, but good results.
    For various reasons, we haven't gotten together for the last two years, and me with a new pup I desperately want to get exposed to upland.

So, this year, I am going to do my research, try to find some public land, huntable reserves, etc. Gonna throw the tent in the truck and just go travel for a week. I figure Central to NE Montana will be the hunting grounds.

WaterFoulHunter likes this.
  3. Rogue Hunter

Rogue Hunter Elite Refuge Member

Last season, because of the plague, everyone had lots of time to go hunting. The birds got pounded. By the third week, you had to "sweep" the odd corners of the fields to move birds.

4. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I live where there once were tons of pheasants.
    Bad winters and farm chemicals slowly made it where I doubt I'd even try to shoot a wild one.
    Used to pride myself on the ability to know where they'd be. I might buy pheasants to train.
    I'd forgotten about it thanks for the reminder.

5. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

the heat and drought now aren't in the pheasants favor, or any other western or north central game birds .

Idaho particularly hard hit . Peak Dakota hatch is right ow from what I ve been told. Not particularly good conditions , and many grassland nesting areas being opened up for emergency farmer haying.