WILDFOWL Magazine Subscriber's Sevice

fabalis

Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have been a subscriber of Wildfowl Magazine for some 20 years and of Shooting Times for a decade. Previously everything went smoothly, but the last couple of years my subsriptions have ended despite having automatic renewal service. That means that I miss issues every time, because I can't renew when I have auto renewal and when it expires (though it shouldn't) it takes a couple months for the new subscription to start. Sorry for the long start here, but here it comes - I have of course contacted Subscriber's Service several times, but I don't get an answer to my questions regarding missing out of issues and that the auto ting doesn't work and lately also why my credit card could be used for WILDFOWL but not for Shooting Times. Every time I just receive an answer with just common knowledge and it seems as though the people hired to help people don't read or don't understand what they read. Has anybody else experienced the same issues or am I the only one? Wildfowl and Shooting Times are both under Outdoor Sportsman Group.

drahthaarducker

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
They are all about the $$$

All these magazines seem to be over 50% advertising.

Don't even get me started on their writers that want free stuff to write about .

They got what they wanted, a renewable subscription.

Northhunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Advertising is how they make money.
The subscription/sales base simply determines how much they can charge for it.

A 30 second ad during last years Super Bowl cost 6.5 Million $. It's not because it's the Super Bowl. It's because what you air during those 30 seconds will be seen by millions.

As for the writers.. free stuff is how you get them to write about it ;)

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Advertising is how they make money.
The subscription/sales base simply determines how much they can charge for it.

A 30 second ad during last years Super Bowl cost 6.5 Million $. It's not because it's the Super Bowl. It's because what you air during those 30 seconds will be seen by millions.

As for the writers.. free stuff is how you get them to write about it ;)

Yep, the only way a mag with minimal ads can make it is with an extremely high subscription price. Also worth noting, paper has become difficult to find and more expensive than ever due to the huge shift to online purchases the last few years.

On your last sentence, a writer sure can't purchase much equipment on what they get paid per article by most outdoor publications.

I've been on all sides of it during my career. I've been the media contact at companies, an ad salesman, a writer and an editor.

FriedPotatoes

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Yep, the only way a mag with minimal ads can make it is with an extremely high subscription price. Also worth noting, paper has become difficult to find and more expensive than ever due to the huge shift to online purchases the last few years.

On your last sentence, a writer sure can't purchase much equipment on what they get paid per article by most outdoor publications.

I've been on all sides of it during my career. I've been the media contact at companies, an ad salesman, a writer and an editor.

Seems like your next career move is to be a TikTok influencer

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Seems like your next career move is to be a TikTok influencer
Strangely enough, we were discussing the need for our social media people to come up with a plan for Tik Tok.

Sounds like a lot of different career moves, but I've written freelance to some extent for about 30 years. The ad sales and editor gigs were at the same magazine. In 30 years in the outdoor world, I've been employed by four entities.

drahthaarducker

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I had a "Writer" crash on my couch at the SHOT show one year, he got free products and a free room.

He Wrote an article about using my product in Canada, somehow he used the product 3 weeks before I got my 1st shipment from China.

Then he went on to get all his camo clothes replaced for free because " it got plane fuel" spilled on it, all total BS.

Went on a Dove hunt with a Group from a Hunting Magazine, a lot of attractive young ladies driving Porsches SUV's showed up, I ended up moving to an area where no Doves were flying after I got shot for a 4th time.

Latest posts