WIND TUBINES

Old Guys Rule

Refuge Member
Reaction score
What a mess. I talked to a bio at Newport's Marine Science Center three years ago and he was pumping this up. Just like forcing electric cars, this is feel good envio stuff that has no ROI. He had no answers to any of my points except - "we have to start somewhere....."

The energy to make miles and miles of steel cables is huge. Saltwater is so corrosive, the cables will rust away, within 20 years it will be breaking apart and need replacing. Not to mention the salt corrosion on the wind turbines. How long will they last before needing to be replaced? He had no answer on the lifespan of the wind farm or the energy in vs energy out equation - "we have to start somewhere....."

The amount of space required for this "wind energy farm" is measured in square miles. This is a huge hazard to navigation. What happens during a storm or if someone's nav system fails or they are off course? Fencing off land is a lot different than publishing coordinates of a restricted boating area. This is the open ocean, not some calm bay. People will die by entangling the cables during a storm. But - "we have to start somewhere...."

Marine mammals will get entangled and no way to rescue them because you can't boat in the web of steel cables. This will be a nightmare for migrating whales. This was dismissed out of hand by the bio as it won;t happen. Later that week the marine Science Center was on the news rescuing a gray whale with a calf entangled in a crab pot rope. The gist of the story was how dangerous these crab pots are to navigation and migrating whales. But - "we have to start somewhere...."

Wind turbines have huge blades. If you have ever stood close to one you would be very scared as the 90 foot blades whoosh by you. If you are not, you should be. The towers the turbine/blade assembly is mounted on are extremely strong tubes. Not a steel post or a truss structure, those are not strong enough. Yet I have seen a tower fail and crumple like tinfoil on one when the variable pitch blades stuck and the wind was too strong. Now let's mount this on a float in the ocean and see how much deflection the top has in a storm with 20 foot seas. Now the stress is magnified by tower movement on a 100 foot lever arm. I would love to see the structural engineer's calculations and force polygon used to design this. But - "we have to start somewhere...."

Maybe I am off base, I hope someone can answer these questions with a calculated answer, but it seems like another well intentioned but poorly thought out green plan.

28gauge

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Yep. There is great concern about this. I believe off the coast of Greenland they have them in place. Locals are not happy. It is proven that in the states of MT,ND,SD and elsware that these structures have caused extreme damage to migratorie birds. Hundreds of birds lay dead at the base of the structure. The worn out blades and parts get buiried in big open fields ln WY. Pull up maintenence on one of those things. Unreall. A main seal goes and the amount of oil on the ground is unreal. This new green deal is BULL CHIT

Josh carpenter

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
They take up a lot of oil to keep gears lubricated ,not as green as people think at all

oleww

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
They take up a lot of oil to keep gears lubricated ,not as green as people think at all
They could use whale oil. That’s a renewable resource. /S