Winds are looking good for late next week …

Iammichael6499

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
My favorite slough needs westerly or northerly winds to be it’s most productive and if the forecast holds, I’ll get maybe 4 days of those this week. Unfortunately it looks like the average temps will be a little higher than normal.

FriedPotatoes

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
My favorite slough needs westerly or northerly winds to be it’s most productive and if the forecast holds, I’ll get maybe 4 days of those this week. Unfortunately it looks like the average temps will be a little higher than normal.

the forecast looks terrible for rest of the season…really only got one main round of mallard migration into the state. This is about the 4th year in a row now.

Iammichael6499

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
the forecast looks terrible for rest of the season…really only got one main round of mallard migration into the state. This is about the 4th year in a row now.

The forecast changed, as it usually does, and I’m down to 3 days of favorable wind. No worries, I almost always shoot a few regardless of the migration status. That’s what makes the spot special. It’ll also be the first time this season I’ve used my “slart”. I’m anxious to put it thru some real gumbo mud again.

Iammichael6499

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
My hunts went ok. Friday there wasn’t a single hunter other than myself. Saturday it was like Walmart on payday. I’ve never seen so many old Dodge trucks in one place. Mostly young hunters. Mallards, green wings, and believe it or not, hooded mergansers. In over 50 years I’ve never seen a merganser of any kind in those sloughs. Another first, I didn’t hear or see a single wood duck all 3 days. Weather was warm on Thursday and Friday but Saturday was as cold as Iowa and the wind was howling out of the NW. I learned something about Greenwings and Agitators. They don’t mix well. Every time the Agitator squirted when the Greenwings were close … they went vertical. I have a remote and turned it off after the 3rd bunch bugged out.

FriedPotatoes

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
My hunts went ok. Friday there wasn’t a single hunter other than myself. Saturday it was like Walmart on payday. I’ve never seen so many old Dodge trucks in one place. Mostly young hunters. Mallards, green wings, and believe it or not, hooded mergansers. In over 50 years I’ve never seen a merganser of any kind in those sloughs. Another first, I didn’t hear or see a single wood duck all 3 days. Weather was warm on Thursday and Friday but Saturday was as cold as Iowa and the wind was howling out of the NW. I learned something about Greenwings and Agitators. They don’t mix well. Every time the Agitator squirted when the Greenwings were close … they went vertical. I have a remote and turned it off after the 3rd bunch bugged out.

did you see a migration this weekend? If so, what part of the state (East, central, or west)? We went and it was deader than it has been all season.

Iammichael6499

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
did you see a migration this weekend? If so, what part of the state (East, central, or west)? We went and it was deader than it has been all season.

NE region, Arkansas River, public land - Thursday evening and Friday morning, pre-front, there appeared to be a mini-migration of mallards and Greenwings. Lots of juvenile greenheads with a sprinkling of mature birds. Most I’ve seen there in several years. Saturday morning, when the cold and snow hit, there were a lot fewer birds. I probably could have shot a limit on Saturday too but I had other commitments and had to pack out around 8:30am. The ponds in the area were holding birds on Thu and Fri but on Sat they were empty. I drove from Sand Springs to Stillwater Saturday afternoon and started seeing birds on ponds about 20 miles east of Stillwater. The Stillwater area, which is a different flyway than the NE one above, was holding a fair number of birds despite the front pushing thru.

Iammichael6499

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Something else to keep in mind about the area I hunt. There are a series of sloughs along the river that can only be accessed from the river (via a boat) and rarely get hunted (no public land access without a 2 to 4 mile hike). The birds trade back and forth between those sloughs and the ones that can be easily hiked to. If the remote sloughs haven’t been hunted it can still make for a good hunt on the other sloughs despite low numbers and/or no migration. After Saturdays mass influx of hunters I’m going to start using my boat to make the 7 mile run so I can hunt the remote sloughs. I’ve been avoiding doing that but it appears the time has come. I also only used 4 decoys and an Agitator for my hunts. Less is better in the sloughs.

kcd

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Watch out for private land. Some of those sloughs are private land along the river.

Iammichael6499

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Watch out for private land. Some of those sloughs are private land along the river.

I appreciate the heads-up … but … I’m originally from there, I’ve been hunting that area for over 50 years, I have current maps, several gps’s and no desire to trespass (even if it’s not posted).

kcd

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Good luck! I have hunted from Webbers Falls to Ft Smith for many years. I agree with you if you find a few ducks using the river in the overlooked spots it can be decent even with low migration numbers.