wingmasters

Tuleman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
when you touched the trigger and
the shot is off , the action opens by itself
I've owned two Wingmasters since 1972. Both had/have a lot of rounds through them. The first one was slick, the current one is doubly-slick, but they don't open themselves.
All the 870's I've shot required pulling back on the forearm after the shot to unlock the bolt and allow the action to open.
Perhaps the one you shot was totally worn out?

Tuleman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
So Far I would have to agree with you , every single one that I have ( 410 thru a Mag 12) have been as smooth as the other !
There's that sound of two reports when shooting Skeet doubles that is hard to beat , even with others shooting Kolar's , K80's or Perazzi's !
It brings into play , it's not the Bow or the Arrow thing !!
I agree. A good pump gun shooter can get off two AIMED shots on flying targets as quickly as the average shooter can get off two aimed shots with an autoloader or O/U.

Ravenanme

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I've owned two Wingmasters since 1972. Both had/have a lot of rounds through them. The first one was slick, the current one is doubly-slick, but they don't open themselves.
All the 870's I've shot required pulling back on the forearm after the shot to unlock the bolt and allow the action to open.
Perhaps the one you shot was totally worn out?

It's funny you say that ? My first one I purchased it in 1964 , Brand New and it did take some getting use to . It being a 30" barreled gun with a .038
choke that shot tighter than the Mod 12's I had . Back then I was one of very few who patterned their guns / loads but Mark 5's did shoot tight . It wasn't
but a few years after I started reloading as a friend of mine , who was a ballistics engineer helped me load some Buffered loads . It didn't take long for
that Wingmaster to learn to open by itself . The interesting part is I still shoot that same gun today (sometimes) , it does show some wear because I
killed a lot of birds with it . Yep those WWCF'd hulls with 32 grs of 4756 under 1 1/4 oz of Lubaloy's with enough Buffer to turn that shot column into
a slug did , kick the chit out of me but it did kill Ducks and Geese at un-believable distances !

duckbuster5901

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I remember first time I patterned some 3" x 2oz. #5 turkey loads thru my old wingmaster 12 mag. Made the mistake of sitting against a tree and shooting on ground. Recoil so severe gun opened by itself, probably from my pulling back on forearm to steady bead on target. Damn those loads kicked. They did kill turkeys though . But they don,t belong to open on their own without some rearward pressure.

Ravenanme

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I remember first time I patterned some 3" x 2oz. #5 turkey loads thru my old wingmaster 12 mag. Made the mistake of sitting against a tree and shooting on ground. Recoil so severe gun opened by itself, probably from my pulling back on forearm to steady bead on target. Damn those loads kicked. They did kill turkeys though . But they don,t belong to open on their own without some rearward pressure.

Yep I agree ! it's the fact I have been shooting pump guns for so long I don't have to think about working the action , they seem to do it by themselves !
I will say , with the 20 some that I have , not one has been hard to pump , even the 3" chambered ones , both in Wingmasters and Mod 12's are slick
as STOS ! With most being older than (most) on this forum , it's just my opinion ! I know I can pump 7 shells out of my Mod 12 28 ga just as fast as
any auto-loader , knowing they only hold a max of 5 shells ! hehee

S.davis

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Find a used one, thats to much for the new ones the old ones are better.

I think it’s on the high end, but probably not “too much”. Might be too much for the market, or too much for an individual, but it’s not more than they are worth, really.

Also, I’ve owned Wingmasters from every decade of their production and the old ones aren’t any better than the ones they were making whe they went out of business. In some ways the old ones were “worse”.

Billy Bob

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I think it’s on the high end, but probably not “too much”. Might be too much for the market, or too much for an individual, but it’s not more than they are worth, really.

Also, I’ve owned Wingmasters from every decade of their production and the old ones aren’t any better than the ones they were making whe they went out of business. In some ways the old ones were “worse”.
Guys only remember the worst examples. Remember the years when GHG had paint issues? People still complain about it and bash them 15 years after they fixed the problem

Ravenanme

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Guys only remember the worst examples. Remember the years when GHG had paint issues? People still complain about it and bash them 15 years after they fixed the problem

A Friend hunted with a outfitter who had ALL his decoys painted Black ! They shot limits of Mallards over them .

Billy Bob

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
A Friend hunted with a outfitter who had ALL his decoys painted Black ! They shot limits of Mallards over them .
Not the point I was making but it s fact that black decoys work very well. I prefer flat dark brown. The dark colors of the old flambeaus and G&H if you find any with no paint are the best!

Ravenanme

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Not the point I was making but it s fact that black decoys work very well. I prefer flat dark brown. The dark colors of the old flambeaus and G&H if you find any with no paint are the best!

I See ! I'm stuck on Full-Curls and Dakota swimmers and Full body Flocked.....4 doz has worked for me .