wingmasters

Mack270

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I’ve got the same year in a 20. It’s not the happiest with Fiochi
That brings back a funny memory. My 870 LW magnum 20 had a terrible time extracting Fiochi. I was 8 or 9 years old. and the doves were flying great. I’d shoot one and would try to shoot another but couldn’t get the gun to unlock unless I banged the stock on the ground. I just starting shaking it at them and my Dad was about to fall over laughing at me. I was so frustrated and it tickled him. I’ve shot Fiochi since but not out of that gun.

woodiefanatic

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I had a case of Fiocchi target loads that neither my Wingmaster or Express liked to eject. They were orange in color. Only shell I’ve ever had an issue with in them.

woodiefanatic

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
^^^^ I think something funky was going on as the crimps where all deformed after shooting them so they wanted to hang up in the ejection port.

Billy Bob

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I never thought a pump gun would be fickle about shell manufacturers.
:doh:scratch
Cheaper pumps aren't. The Ithaca 37 and BPS are the 2 I hear about most. Both Federal and Kent's would stick in the chamber of my BSP regularly enough that I carried a cleaning rod until I bought more ammo.

Jim Atlas

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Only time I've ever had trouble was with my 870 express and a couple boxes of Winchester universals back in 2006. Haven't had any other issues in my other pumps, or with that 870 either even with universals.
Why? Who knows.

NW BIRDHUNTER

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I primarily shoot semi automatics, and double barrels, however I do own a Winchester 1200 20 and Browning 16 BPS upland special. They digest any ammo I've ever shot in them. No problem.

Mack270

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I think the brass wasn’t properly sized on the Fiochi if I remember correctly. That was thirty years ago. I can still remember the hunt though.

mister gadwall

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
A lotto discussion about the 870s herein , but not much distinction made between the 870 WM, the 870 WM magnum, and the express models later years in the comments.

Ive shot the 870 WM 3 inch magnums since late 70s or so. Ive never had an issue with it and it has received as much abuse as one could deal out on a shotgun. Meanwhile Ive watched friends and family fight with their Benellis and Model 12s and about every other "duck gun " made over failure to fire, ejections, etc etc. I tried a BPS12 in the 90s just because of the top safety . It was a good gun but the stroke for the ejection on pump was different from the 870 for me and I never was comfortable with it. Ive watched my best bird hunting friend over the last 50 years fight with his model 37 about nightly on our trips on ejection issues ...disassemble, reassemble, clean, a dab of super glue here and there and maybe file a little bit. It was comical but he treasured the gun because it was his first gun.

Ive shot the same late 80s 870 SP 3 inch for turkeys for 40 plus years. Never an issue.

As for value retention, I would say finding a great condition older WM Magnum 3 inch gun(not express) is going to be minimum a 750$ trip at the gun shows Ive been to recently. I inherited two 870 Special Field guns. One was never out of original box. I kept the one that was used . The New one in the box sold locally to an acquaintance for what I would call an astronomical number.

Your experiences may differ of course.